What is 303 anyway?

Silicone is not harmful to latex…
…at least not in and of itself. Guys like Sing use silicone grease on their necks to reduce irritation and it doesn’t cause any problems with the seals. It’s the other ingredients in junk like Armorall that cause problems.

What’s unusual about that?
Most companies are going to try to protect their products from being copied.

Made from sperm whales…
…or whale sperm… I forget…

303 NOT waterproof
I treated a royalex canoe and placed it on top of the van. The next day we had rain and I noticed oily streaks down the windshield and van. It made a but mess!

303 sez
"303 Aerospace Protectant does not contain silicone oils or petroleum distillates, or other agents unsafe for rubber, vinyl and other plastics."

http://www.303products.com/tech/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=287

303 seems to say here that “silicone oil” is an “agent unsafe for rubber, vinyl and other plastics.”

Perhaps the matter is stated more correctly in the second paragraph on the page: ““Leading Brand” protectant products contain silicone oils giving them their oily, greasy, dirt attracting nature. Some even contain petroleum distillates (petrochemicals)!..which should never be used on rubber or vinyl and most other plastics.”

Reading lesson

– Last Updated: May-09-06 11:44 AM EST –

303 website: "Some even contain petroleum distillates (petrochemicals)!....which should never be used on rubber or vinyl and most other plastics."

Here, 303 is saying that "petroleum distillates" are bad for rubber (it's explicit).

303 website: "303 Aerospace Protectant does not contain silicone oils or petroleum distillates, or other agents unsafe for rubber, vinyl and other plastics."

Here, 303 is indicating what 303 does not contain and mentions "other agents unsafe for rubber". We don't know what these other agents are. There's no other information in this statement. The sentence is not also saying that "silicone oils" are bad for rubber (it may have been written to "suggest" that).

The only criticism of "silicone oil" they make is that it attracts dirt and it doesn't last.

Many rubber manufactures suggest using "silicone" to treat rubber. So, it's OK to use silicone. It is possible that 303 is better but there's no indication that "silicone" itself is bad (other than attracting grease).

When I wipe it down thoroughly, I do not
get streaks on the windshield. Maybe you got worse acid rain up there.

Gee, thanks!
Certainly you can see how the quoted statement could be interpreted to mean that silicone is unsafe for rubber:

“303 Aerospace Protectant does not contain silicone oils or petroleum distillates, or other agents unsafe for rubber, vinyl and other plastics.”

http://www.303products.com/tech/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=287

If someone told you that peanut butter and jelly contain salt, you might reasonable infer that they both do, although in fact jelly does not.

Perhaps after my reading lesson you can advise 303’s marketing wonks on the proper use and placement of commas and periods.

It’s a bad sentence

– Last Updated: May-09-06 1:22 PM EST –

It is a bad sentence.

Still, they mention explicit "problems" with silcone oil (attracts dirt) in a few places but don't mention that silicone oil is in any other way "unsafe" for rubber. If silicone oil was really "unsafe", one could guess they'd prefer mentioning that repeatedly rather than the kind-of-lame "attracts dirt" complaint.

Also, respectible companies (eg Palm) suggest silicone for rubber.

It’s a good sentence
Very carefully crafted to not say that silicone is bad, any yet appear to say that silicone is bad when read quickly.

Misleading

– Last Updated: May-09-06 1:28 PM EST –

If you associate "good" with "misleading", then I agree with you!

It's possible that it was written that way intentionally (we don't know). But there is ample evidence that indicates that the interpretation of it as "silicone oil is bad for rubber" is not reasonable.

MSDS for 303
http://www2.siri.org/msds/f2/cgn/cgnwp.html

Learn to buff it out properly…
till you no longer have a greasy, oily feel. Keep changing your cloth while buffing till cloth no longer appears damp or wet at all. My boats spend a tremendous amout of time on roof of car because I paddle after work and live in opposite direction of H2o from work. I use it religiously and my skincoat Kevlar boats still look new, albiet darker, after over 14 years of heavy use. I have also begun using Mcnett ‘UV Tech’ surface protectant with equally good results, www.mcnett.com. 303 works wonders on gelcoats that have oxidized, or become ‘chalky’ looking, restoring the gels normal luster, or shiny appearance. You have just got to read the instructions and BUFF IT OUT completely till dry to the touch. Do this simple task and you simply will never see streaks on your car OR the H2o!

True
but I still find it interesting.

NO to Armor All
Please go to ArmorAll’s web site. Through the site ask if they recommend ArmorAll for plastic kayaks. I did. The response was a definite and absolute NO.

You could do your own test.
Get two pieces of plastic, coat one the way you would your kayak (splash water on it too), then leave them out in the sun.

Probably have to do it for about a year straight.

Depends a lot upon
your elevation, as well.

A couple of years ago I took an old unserviceable Seda vest, red in colour, and masked off an 8" square. Saturated that square with 303 and hung the vest on my backyard fence.

Three weeks later you could easily see the difference. I live at 5300’.

Holmes

Also on 303 site

Not very informative, is it?