What is the weakest point on a GP?

@TomL said:

@kfbrady said:
It might be down to the grain structure of each individual piece of wood, but I suspect most will break somewhere in the loom.
Unless you use it as a chisel or for poking at alligators…then the tip is the weak point.

I have a deal with the local gators. I leave them alone, they leave me alone! :slight_smile:

@string said:
I also leave my blades a little thicker than I did originally. I used to try to get them as thin as possible but it makes them more susceptible to damage.

the “dihedral” shape from the loom out the first 1/3 or more of the blade is critical to remain “thick”. I have shaved many to thin. They did not break but the “natural” efficiency of the paddle is compromised, They are flutter sticks in my experience.
I broke two two piece feathercraft paddles early in my experience where the loom ended at the ferule. Levering on them too hard learning forward finishing rolls. I have broken one one piece right in the middle of the loom. Carved it too thin first off, and the grain direction was not ideal,