what is your best fishing memory

i’m
liking the “big fish butt dance!”

That’s a good one
I have two daughters. The eldest daughter absolutely spoiled a couple of fishing trips by acting like a spoiled brat. So I left her at home for a few trips with my youngest, who really seems to enjoy it. That picture was taken on one of those trips where my eldest was left at home (with her mother, of course, not locked up in some closet or anything).

That’s all it took. My eldest is now interested in fishing again. The last couple times I’ve taken her, she was cooperative and helpful, even to the point of helping other children to learn.

• Big D

Too many good

– Last Updated: Aug-03-09 11:17 AM EST –

times with family to single one out. However, the best kayak fishing w/o family was at a small (10 acre) lake around 9000' on a pass below the continental divide in Colorado. (Notice that it is unnamed...) Around the "magic hour" of evening when the trout start rising and rippling the lake I paddled to the first beaver dam above the inlet. There I backed the kayak into the weeds beside the inlet creek. "Beached" it would hold steady and I could cast either in the inlet or over the edge of the dam to the pond above. I tied on a #16 Addams and proceded to cast with a #6 floating line and a #4 tippet. EVERY cast was getting a strike and most of the time I was netting pan sized rainbow and brookies. Honestly, it was like I was on one of those old Saturday afternoon fishing shows. It was an incredible hour under a beautiful sunset. I had the place to myself as it was way to boggy for anyone to walk/wade in and there were no other paddlers on the lake. Gotta love fishing on weekday evenings.

Memories
I can remember so many great memories from my youth until now that it would be hard to say favorite. My fishing adventures started so young I can’t remember exactly when or how I got started. My dad for some reason didn’t go fishing or hunting with us but just a few times. I got my outdoor adventures mostly from my brothers who were always either fishing or hunting. I went a lot by myself and with friends. A chance to fish for me was also a chance to explore and experience. One time that my dad came with me just us two, he didn’t fish but came to watch. I was fishing in the back of a cove at Hixson marina in Hixson Tenn. We walked a short path to a long rail road tie someone had put there eons ago. It was summer I was about 15 or 16 and I began to cast across the short distance to the other side of the cove. I could see a nice size bass a good distance in front of me close to the surface and I told my dad I was going to catch him. As I reeled in he hit my spinner like I had snagged it on a greyhound bus. It was good to have a witness for my bragging and even greater because it was my dad.

that sounds cool

This says it all about kids and fishing.
“A chance to fish for me was also a chance to explore and experience.”

Well written story. I’ll bet your Dad had as good a time as you did.

• Big D

Big time
My dad was a great man,He was no nonsense and practical. He did a lot of fishing and hunting as a kid in west Tennesee. But like all those older guys they grew up in tough times so their character was tough as nails. They could be in their 80’s and still work circles around us young folks. They had to be tough to do the things they had to. He did love his boys all five of us and he did take time to have a little fun. He did enjoy our fishing trip I think he was wishing we had brought another pole. I would have been happy for him to use mine just to see him get excited and spend a little time for himself. You want to have quality time go spend it with your parents or your kids and make memories.

to quote ricki lee jones…
“you never know when you’re makin’ a memory, you will wish you were here together again someday.”