what kinda knives in your kit?

Magazine Articles
Magazines articles are used to sell products to readers. They should be taken with a grain of salt. Put a knife in your PFD pocket if it makes you feel safer. You won’t read that in a magazine because advertizers don’t want you to.

Magazine articles?..
…What are you talking about?

Several
I appreciate good craftsmanship in a blade. On my PFD lives a Benchmade River Knife. I am rarely more than an arms reach from my Benchmade Elishewitz design folder. Take anything except my knife and I will figure a way to get by. For camping and home cooking I’m fond of using a Gryphon - Bob Terzuola design M-10. It’s a smaller version of his combat knife and quite handy for dicing garlic and onion, or cubing beef for stew and slicing carrots. I retired my left handed SpyderCo - Bob T. folder after years of service and the bushing needing replaced. (One day I’ll drop it off at Spyderco for that, they’re close to home.) It’s hard to find a good left handed knife and harder to find an ambidextrous one with a left handed sheath.

Gerber blunt nose river knife

– Last Updated: Aug-17-06 10:57 AM EST –

This is attached to pfd blade up and in a way that prevents it catching on line or anything. Like most of my safety gear, it is there in case... and there has not been a case yet I have really needed much of my safety gear. I have done countless rescues and re-entry drills and have never had a problem with entanglement. However, if I was stupid enough to paddle in rough weather near a gillnet, that might be a different story. Also have a leatherman in my bail out nalgene bottle kit..
Do not listen to those that think they know everything and live 1000 miles away from salt water. Real world paddlers, not armchair critics are going to give you the best advice.

Helle
This Norwegian company blends traditional and modern designs. Not too expensive and the quality is second to none. Here is one source: http://www.darktimberdesign.com/helleknife/

ahsimeroi…what magazine article?
it’s a paddling.net article, brands aren’t the matter. the versatility of a life saving object is what it’s about. you should read it.

Fixed blade for me.
I have several Gerber sheif knives. One being the River Shorty blunt tip.

There’s an awesome write-up on knives on the Cabela’s website.

I use 3
I use the Gerber River Shorty that lives on my PFD

http://www.basegear.com/rivershorty.html

On land I carry the Tom Brown Tracker that serves the purpose of Hatchett, Matchette, and much more

http://www.topsknives.com/products/knives/tracker.html

Lastly I carry a multitool for those McGuyver moments.

Antique scottish claymore.

I carry the C4 version of it.

wouldn’t recommend that Jeri
Don’t assume it won’t be detected. If it is found it will be considered “concealed” and all kinds of bad stuff then happens.

Paul

Kinda difficult
to hold in your hand.

Do you mount them along the canoe’s sheer line?

Jim

Heavens no…
…I have a kayak.

I keep it mounted on the bow for the jet skiiers.

True i have to keep my boat’s ADL pointed at the

intended, but it’s a small price to pay.

what is a web belt exactly?
I looked one up, and it look slike it’s just a strap that goes around your waist and acts like a belt, with one of those clip buckles. ???

slice em dice em!
I have my trusty Buck folder on my belt,

and my 1943 Army machete in my kayak.

I suppose if I wore a PFD regularly,

I would have a knife on it.

Before you get too excited, I paddle

slow lazy rivers.

you paddle slow lazy rivers…
…and like not wearing a seatbelt, you’re breaking the law (at least, in Canada you are). you don’t know what would happen to you. you could tip accidentally and the boat side could crunk you in the head and you’d pass out and sink.

end of story, going on the water without a PFD it more than stupid. grumble

Slow lazy rivers can turn on you
They meet a girl river they like, get a little ambition, take some night school, start applying themselves, suddenly they aren’t slow and lazy anymore.

what style of machete do you carry?
the kirpan style is what I like most, but I never thought there were ‘styles’ of machete. I never had the slightest clue that there could be blade designs that would affect the dynamics of bush cutting. LOL!!!

on avergae, what weight would you want for your machete? I’ve seen some ranging from 1.0lbs to 2.0lbs with a lot of 1.3lb and 1.7lbs models.

Ocean Master Titanium Floder
Just because I am lazy and forgetfull. It doesn’t rust when you soak in in seawater, and leave it in your PFD until next trip.

Last SC…
I flipped in a kelp bed. Got totally tangled when I tried to roll, first one side and then the other. Came up wrapped in the stuff. After getting back on the waveski (with some effort), I still had the stuff wrapped around my legs, arms and paddle. First, I tried to pull the stuff off me. Took too long. Finally, I pulled the titanium fB out of my shoulder sheath and hacked the remainder off. Good thing, CA has long swell periods.

sing