what kinda knives in your kit?

Fixed Blade is on my list of needs
I’ve always carried in my pfd, and still carry, a folding knife that I can open with one hand. But I’m getting a fixed blade next time I’m around a store that has something that will fit on the PFD nicely.

In July, I capsized my ww canoe after running a drop, and a stray line that shouldn’t have been there, but was, wrapped around my ankle and footpeg. A kayaker lent me his bow and I grabbed a breath, went back under, and untangled my foot. The thought of using the knife never occurred to me until later.

But I try to picture myself in the situation with no kayak bow to grab. It took a moment to realize what was going on and that my foot was stuck. Then let’s say I decided to cut the line. Getting the knife out and unfolding it while underwater is doable, but there are two many ifs. What if my hand slips and I drop it? What if I’m getting raked over rocks in the extra time it takes to unfold the knife? I’d be running out of breath, and options, by the time any of this happened.

And I think I will look for something blunt-ended. Trying to get a pointy knife between my ankle and the rope that wrapped around it, again, while upside down in a rapid, seems perilous.

I also told myself I’d practice getting the knife out while capsized. I think I’d be more likely to think of using the knife if it is something I practiced. But, I haven’t done it. At least I am taking more care to make sure there are no loose ropes floating around the bottom of the boat, but ya neva know.

~~Chip Walsh, Gambrills, MD

Gerber Shorty
Blunt tip is my preference.

Some folks have had problems with those falling out of the sheath and getting lost but mine are still solid.

Painters, tows, throwropes, sheets and halyards,

play with rope in the water and don’t have a knife handy, shame on you.

Spyderco Atlantic Salt
I carry a Spyderco Atlantic Salt as well (black), it’s a very good knife. I have used the Sypderco folding knives for years with good results. The new “Salt” series will absolutely not rust.

Greg Stamer

Emerson folding knife

– Last Updated: Aug-25-06 9:57 AM EST –

partially serrated. Mine is discontinued but here's the company's link.

http://www.emersonknives.com/EK_Choose_Div.html