What lightweight solo canoe would you buy....if you only had $2000?

Only $2,000? Hmm. That is more than twice the highest amount I have ever spent.
You live close to the canoe mecca in the Northeast.
Find a nice used canoe.
You should be able to find some really good ones starting around $800-1,000.

Hemlock and Hornbeck noted above have boats in the $2K range. Buy new and help keep the paddlesport industry alive.

2 Likes

I am in south Coastal Maine, about 4 hours away from you, and I have a Mike Galt design “Dandy” built by Pat Moore hanging in my garage, low miles and great condition. I had advertised it a few years ago at $2500 on fb marketplace, but would sell it for $2000. I could include a Wind Song “S” blade paddle, like new, with it, or if you are shorter (I am 6’3" with long torso and arms), a new Shaw & Tenney #150, 54", varnished Sassafras paddle. I am entering my 85th year, and do not forsee much paddling in my future.

5 Likes

Beautiful paddle!

Look at ed333 post.

My Northstar Northwind solo ran slightly above that brand new and is by far the easiest paddling, best tracking, indestructible, BEST LOOKING :), canoe I’ve ever come across! Its stability is legendary and it combines almost magical glide with incredible maneuverability…amateurs can dance with these beauties!! It feels like a canoe “should” feel and does what your imagination says a canoe should do with zero sacrifices. It will change your life, not just yiur paddling life and is practically indestructible.

2 Likes

Which laminate is your boat?

1 Like

I have the IXP lay up…which checks every box I’ve been attempting to check for over 5 decades in canoes in all waters

Bingo! One day I hope to have the cash for one of those.

Thanks

I recently bought a OT Canadienne in kevlar for $250. It is the smaller 15’7" model. I replaced the seats and thwarts and set it up for solo paddling. After some repairs, it is a rocket with a 32 inch beam and plenty of length.

2 Likes