What personal incident convinced you to always wear your PFD?

So while im a zealot it took me a while to get there. We always wore lifejackets when out with the family, local trips. The culture was different when i worked for the bsa in maine. We gave a stringent swim test, in a choppy lake, shoes on. If you passed you only had to wear it when your guide told you to, if you didnt pass then you always wore your pfd… I was a guide.

I had been at it 4 or 5 seasons when we were paddling back to base after paddling the eastbranch and websterbrook, on a routine mile and a half lake crossing. The launch area is somewhat sheltered. Fortunately i noticed the wind in the center of the lake was picking up. I made the decision for pfds. It wasnt popular. We made it half way across when all hell broke loose. Major whitecaps, thunder, lightening, sheets of rain. Just think of the worst conditions youve ever had driving an interstate and you want to pull over but you cant.
Crew is doing their best to get to a small island but it is a struggle for each boat. We all made it and the only peace of mind i had was knowing that they all had on their pfd because if they had capsized they would have floated a couple of miles to the end of the lake.

Im camping at summersville lake in wv, my daughter had been playing with the little girl in the next campsite. The daddy drowns behind the campsite. It really sucked.

A rafting customer dies at meat grinder on the lower new. There is a large crowd gathered doing cpr unsuccessfully as i float by.

School where i work, custodian loses granddaughter at myrtle beach

Scott hassen drowns on the lower meadow, my boss at the rivermen. He was getting married the next week.

Two of us are boating the dries at high water, my friend kent goes into a huge hole and almost flush drowns. Walks off river even though it is an epic hike to get out because he wont even cross the river to walk the tracks. He is totally freaked.

My sister loses two friends canoeing on lake george without pfds.

Ive personally been on the water when 3 fatalities occured. I conducted a meeting the day after frenchie died on camp creek. We were supposed to boat a week earlier together but i canceled because i didnt like the levels. He liked to run things juiced. Bad combo, high water and small creeks.

I saw the devastated looks when they couldnt find the car keys. Parked next to his car. The guy from three rivers who was leading the trip dies at pillow, gauley r, not only will his wife learn that her husband drowned but she will need to retrieve the car as well .

Child dies at takeout swimming. Anther child screams for help as they are swept off their feet but is rescued by my friends. The list goes on and on.

I honestly think there are a few instances when the pfd could be shed, if you become entangled, continually recirced badly to the bottom of the river bed but not out of a hole. Trying to get under or through ocean surf but none of these were the case.

And then there was that whole getting caught in a derachio running fayette station new r., swimming out of an undercut in a sqirt boat on the obed, and swimming hydroelectric in jawbone, chattooga.

Two days ago someone broke their ankle, thankfully i was spared the drama, i was at the take out already . Class ii stream about half the folks not wearing pfds

With ww you know the value of the pfd. One time a kid drowned at a takeout swimming while i was running shuttle. The aftermath is hell even for the bystanders. Its simply a club you dont want to belong too.

4 Likes

I have been reading this thread on and off for a week now thinking about how to reply. I grew up on Lake Erie we were always in the water and the only PFDs we had were tire tubes and the only boats we had were homemade rafts built out of anything that would float. My best attempt was one built from a sheet of plywood some old indoor outdoor carpet, chicken wire and about 300 plastic milk jugs. As I got older and my sister married and her husband started buying lake boats I spent a lot of time on the Lake fishing and water skiing. We always wore a PFD for skiing as that was the law along with seeming like a good idea. In the boat we always had them handy but never wore them with the few exceptions of getting caught out in some bad breaking weather trying to get back in. Then there was a pause of 20 years with little boating going on and then I decided to buy a canoe rather than go crazy staying locked down for Covid19.

So the question is what personal incident convinced me to always wear my PFD? I can honestly say it was finding this forum and joining and both reading a lot of threads and participating in others.

The part I find ironic is where I live we have hundreds of paddlers and the percentage committed to PFD always is close to zero and the percentage of PFD most of the time is maybe 2%. Now that we have been paddling a couple years I can honestly say I enjoy every aspect of it except the lack of safety disregard all around I see by everyone else I encounter.
:canoe:

3 Likes

I have mandated on all of the trips I lead that PFD’s are to be worn or I leave you at the put in. We had a group of 26 on the Buffalo two weeks ago and we were 100%. On Saturday, we were watching rental boats go by and almost every kayak had a Wal Mart orange special dragging behind it in the water. Nobody had them on.

While canoeing in the BWCA with a group of scouts, we were stopped for a break. Our first experience making a wet landing and the
canoe capsized. We were only 8’ out
from the shoreline but, the water was
extremely deep! Glad I was wearing my pfd.

Advanced lazyness. I’d rather float than swim for my life!

2 Likes

The Ocean changed me. I wore a PFD during the cold season fairly regularly in the midwest but never in the warm season.

Once I started paddling on the ocean, it became immediately clear to me that a PFD was 100% necessary 100% of the time. Big waves make you realize your place in natures pecking order real fast.

Edit - That said, I rarely wear it when canoeing on the reservoir near me because its warm and not very large in any section. barring a heart attack, it would take exceptional circumstances to die out there, so comfort wins in lazy calm warm waters.

2 Likes

I always wear a PFD when in the yak, but it is damn uncomfortable on flat water in 90+ air. So I don’t go out then, just like I don’t go if lightning storms are likely.
Here are some hacks for being able to add or shed layers, without taking the PFD off: I have both a windbreaker and rainjacket that are large enough to go over the PFD and zip up, a thick fleece neck gaitor, and a Henderson Thermoprene Sport Cap that fits under my brimmed paddling hats, one of which is insulated. I usually paddle in the morning, starting with whatever is comfortable, shedding layers as time goes on, but never removing the PFD.

2 Likes

Trying to do a ladder exit onto the pier on Eel creek at our townhouse on Chincoteague on a hot summer. I wasn’t going anywhere and I was just in the boat long enough to paddle from the ladder, turn around and return. PFD was on but not buckled or zipped. Half out the wide beam kayak I was dangling from the ladder and stretched out from the kayak.
Even though I was just 8 feet from shore, the water was over my head and the PFD was over my head, too.
After trying and failing to re-enter the boat, I did an emergency doggy paddle through the oyster muck to the semi-solid bottom.
An un-fastened PFD is no better than no PFD.

5 Likes

Based on my judgment , I always wear mine.

2 Likes

No, you’re not alone, but that is not a welcome opinion.

No personal incident.
Took sailing lessons and we didn’t leave the dock until everyone was properly fitted out. Became a habit. Won’t go kayaking with someone that won’t wear one regardless of temp, water depth or distance or swimming ability.
80% of drownings, no lifejacket…that’s enough info for me.
The other 20%, injury, entrapment and mouth immersion.

1 Like

I tried walking on water :ocean::sweat_drops: and failed. So since then …

4 Likes

As a sailor first, now a kayaker too, i have seen way too many boaters here along the Jersey Shore lose their lives in our rough and sometimes uncharted inlets. A few years age we evrn had a towboatusa captain lose his life while transiting my home port inlet og Great Egg Harbor.

So honestly, i have never not worn one. I would need to be aboard a substantial vessel before i would feel safe without a PFD.

2 Likes

It is hard on the person that tries to rescue a drowning victim and fails to revive them. I know from personal experience, and I didn’t even know the man. The people I regularly sail and paddle with all wear their PFD.

I was paddling with my sister and B-I-L and a couple they are friends with recently. The couple were not wearing their PFDs. It was very windy. So, I talked about how import it is in a capsize to hang onto the boat and wear your PFD so you will at least be able to stay afloat in such a situation. They still didn’t get the message. A very nice couple, but I wanted to say put them on. If I had been in charge of the paddle I would have insisted. I find it hard to turn a pleasant outing into an argument. Looking back if something had happened to one of them, I would have felt like a fool for not being more insistent. I did stay close just in case.

4 Likes

Not negotiable. I have lost a friendship over PFDs.
Experience is a great teacher. Swimming rapids makes the point most strongly.
Aerated water, fast current, and especially reversals make a strong impression.

5 Likes

Wear it if you are in RI. Simple. It’s now the law.

sing

1 Like

NH needs this. I swear 90+% of the people I see on the water are not wearing PFDs. Does NH want to be Florida and increase the number of stupidity and negligence related deaths? You don’t have to wear a helmet on a motorcycle in NH either, and I’m pretty sure seatbelts are optional.

1 Like

According to the USCG, 83 kayakers drowned in 2021. 27, almost 1/3, of the drowning victims were wearing PFDs. Make sure that the PFD is just one part of your safety precautions and planning.

Do they break down the numbers further? How many were in whitewater? How many were at sea?

Would be interesting to know the seasons. You can wear a PFD in late fall or early spring. But, if you don’t have immersion gear, you have a good chance of being incapacitated and passing out from hypothermia and drowning.

PFD (or any piece of gear) is not the be-all, end-all. As discussed here often, there is a continuum of gear, conditioning, skills and judgement that contributes to higher safety. You want to be optimal across that continuum, but failure in any of those can be catastrophic. At this latter point, survival is a matter of luck (or grace).

sing