What’s your PFD?

Another V8 user here.

Does the V8 have a pocket big enough to hold a cell phone (iPhone XR)?

The newer ones do but they are mesh. Better have a darn good waterproof case for it. But that is true any time you have a phone along when you are kayaking. The XR is only “splash resistant”, not immersible nor warranteed for water damage.

I carry my iPhone in a small tightly gasketed Pelican box and typically don’t take it out when on the water. I carry a Pentax WG-1 camera, which is fully waterproof and immersible, for photography.

I have and my husband had a Kokatat MSFit Tour. The mens version put the zipper offside, most guys I have known get the womens version.

@Celia said:
I have and my husband had a Kokatat MSFit Tour. The mens version put the zipper offside, most guys I have known get the womens version.

Agreed, the women’s version is great for men, with multiple functional pockets.
Also, ditto Sparky’s comment - it’s nice to be able to safely leave the zipper open to cool off.
My MSFit is old and faded, so I bought the Astral V8 a couple of weeks ago. It was well-made and certainly was going to be cooler (a big bonus), but it felt a bit like wearing a parachute so I sent it back. I found the pockets lacking, although not a deal breaker. In a hotter climate I would have kept it.

@carldelo said:

@Celia said:

Agreed, the women’s version is great for men, with multiple functional pockets.
Also, ditto Sparky’s comment - it’s nice to be able to safely leave the zipper open to cool off.
My MSFit is old and faded, so I bought the Astral V8 a couple of weeks ago. It was well-made and certainly was going to be cooler (a big bonus), but it felt a bit like wearing a parachute so I sent it back. I found the pockets lacking, although not a deal breaker. In a hotter climate I would have kept it.

Can you elaborate on your fit experience with the V8? Have you purchased something else you like better?

I believe he is making reference to the newer V8 pfd model. The flotation on the back has been raised up to the top half and thickened as opposed to the older model that had it evenly spread along the top 2/3 of the back. This was done to keep the pfd from interfering with the back of a kayak/canoe seat.
I own the old version without the “parachute” back, but paddle with people who enjoy the newer version.

@Sparky961 said:

Can you elaborate on your fit experience with the V8? Have you purchased something else you like better?

I tried the new version of the V8, the teal one in Doug’s post. He’s right on about the back - the pad is high on the shoulder blades. Sitting in a chair felt like there was no vest on - remarkable, but I don’t have high seat backs in my boats. The back brim of my hat touched the pad a little.

The front pad is compact and forward on the belly like a WWII parachute - problematic if you already have one (a belly, I mean). Others have said it doesn’t interfere with paddling, which I can believe. The mesh and holes through the vest would clearly make it cool in hot weather. I just didn’t like the feeling and the lack of pockets was enough for me to return it. It’s a worth a look if you’re in the market, I got a sale price at REI, and they have a good return policy.

I’m sticking with my old Kokatat MSFit Tour, and will replace it when it finally wears out.

Thanks for that. It doesn’t look like a good match for my next PFD but nice to see them trying to innovate.

Been using Seda’s for years. Nothing comparable out there today.

Kokatat Neptune last July to replace a 15 year old Palm X-Treme whose fabric was failing. I like the front zip on Kokatat vs no zip, over the head of former. New one also does not ride up while in the water at a comfortable cinch.

Make sure you can do an adequate re-entry with a brand new PFD. I like my PFD’s to carry a lot of gear, but ones that are stuffed full in the front make it more difficult to re-enter.

I borrowed a YAK brand PFD when I was in the UK after my Astral got left in a vehicle at one shuttle when I switched from my kayak to a tandem canoe so another paddler could join our group. I really liked it (see pic). (Taurus model, I think. In the UK they call them “buoyancy aids”) Have never been able to find the brand for sale in the US.

They are designed more for whitewater but I liked the simplicity, huge pockets, close fit and low profile. It fit me very well. I am short waisted and have trouble with some vests pushing up too high on my torso when seated which this did not do. Internal belt design helps keep it in place. Some of the YAK touring models (like the Xipe) have a huge rear pocket as well that can fit a hydration bladder and pockets specifically designed for EPIRB’s and PLB’s. Everyone I paddled with in the UK had either YAK or Palm PFD’s.

There are some UK and Australian dealers for them on Ebay but it would likely take weeks, if not months, for delivery. And returns would be a hassle.

We’re with GregofDelaware on PFDs. My wife and I own the same models, and have found them well-suited to our local paddling needs (Bay of San Felipe on the Sea of Cortez) where conditions often rapidly change from flat calm to windy with chop and 1.5 foot swells in the space of only a few minutes. Both provide great flotation, seat clearance, and decent ventilation for our hot, sunny weather.

Does no one use inflatables for recreational paddling?

@Okie said:
Does no one use inflatables for recreational paddling?

While inflatables have their uses, per the USCG: “Inflatable lifejackets must have a full cylinder and all status indicators on the inflator must be green, or the device is NOT serviceable, and does NOT satisfy the requirement to carry lifejackets.”

Such jackets must be maintained, regularly checked, and rearmed when necessary. That’s more work and expense than I want. My personal preference is a life jacket that I know will float me and let me concentrate on hanging on to my boat and paddle.

As to the automatic inflatables, last summer there was a MOB in the Turbo Division of the Chicago-Mackinac sailboat race. The sailor, who had more than a decade of offshore racing experience, was wearing an auto-inflate life vest. It didn’t inflate. His body was found a week later.

Mine’s a several year old MTI Orleans.

First bit of advice…one that’s comfortable so you’ll actually wear it. Mesh backs keep you a bit cooler on a hot day and if you like to carry lots of little stuff like a cell phone, energy bars, a compass or camera, look for pockets. Pockets are great. Major brands like NRS, Kohlquist, Yak and others are worth the money. Get the best most comfortable one you can afford. Bright colors may help if you are paddling where motor boats abound.

No stohlquist users on this thread so far… I kept seeing the stohlquist edge which got me thinking about upgrading my PFD and got me to start this thread. The V8 and MsFit have some big fans.

My wife and I have several, including inflatables that we haven’t used in years. My preference is a Kokatat Bahia Tour as it has good pockets; I’m the one who carries a radio, a cell phone, etc. She likes the simplicity of an Astral YTV.

But, it’s really all down to personal fit. You absolutely have to try a bunch, and get down into a paddling position wearing them, to be sure you’ll be comfortable.