what the best frestyle canoe..?

Thanks!
I said I’d stick with the Explorer with tongue firmly in cheek (I’ll try some freestyle poling, maybe), but it is nice to know that I can just take the SRT out on a pond and mess around in it and maybe get a taste of the freestyle world. After all, it’s free, ain’t it?

Thanks for the word, Charlie.

-Chuck

Short test paddle in Bell Flashfire
on a river yesterday. Boy, was that fun! It seemed to fit me better than my royalex Bell Wildfire.

Dang, now I have another boat to lust after.

I can see how it would be a good boat to mess aroud with free style maneuvers, even though I’m not well versed in free style.

WildFire/FlashFire and YellowStone
Bell used to make the WildFire in the mold now at6 Placid boats in Lake Placid NY. Same song with the FlashFire.

The ABS WildFire was/is a different hull, despoite the same sticker. It has significantle less stern rocker. This was a conscious decision to improve tracking for beginning-learning solo paddlers.

While Wild and YellowStone are 14’ by 30", Flash is 13’ by 28.5 inches. It accelerates more quickly due to less wetted surface, turns a little tighter because both hulls have 2.5" roaker at each stem, which leaved Flash with more rocker proportionately, and it fits compact paddlers better, as it was originally fitted to a 5’10" 160 pounder with a 30: inseam. We just infused one with CobraSox rails and thwarts that will weigh 26 lbs with a wood seat installed.

I want a Flash with the cobra sox rails
because I don’t want to mess with maintaining wood rails.

I’m glad that you building them that way now to give me something to save money for.

Thanks for the above info.

freestyle.
Yanoer

what type off canoe you are talking about.?

again i am a big man…240*

i dont want to get on freestyle all the time…but would like to do some for fun …and mabe even a bit more then that.

but i would like something(canoe),a bit more versatyle…that i can use solo and not to expensive.

or even thinking used…sometime can have great deal used…and get a higher end canoe.

thanks to all…great topic and response.

joco

As has been mentioned previously…
you might be able to locate a used Bell Wildfire in a composite layup or a Merrimac Baboosic. Both would be versatile boats given your height and weight, and be fun for FS.

swift shearwater is more likely
to be running around in your area than ours…Its a fine boat for forward FS and touring for a big guy. Not so good backwards but that is getting quibbly.

Did I miss something…Joco what can you find your way? PS there are ways to transport boats around…have boats do travel!

freestyle.

– Last Updated: Jan-08-08 9:35 PM EST –

hi kayamedic

i can find a lot off deferent kind off canoe or models not far frome here.

if you want to no what is around here...just google.....ottawa+canoe

there a good choice i think.

but do have to travel a bit.

there is not that mutch people that do freestyle around here i think.

i might be wrong....i do no there becky mason that do some freestyle here about 10min frome my place in meech lake..canadian style9freestyle)..will go take her course this spring...this will be a good start i gues.

then will go shoping..

thanks again. to all.

joco

Shearwater
FWIW, I own several solo canoes, my Shearwater is hands down the worst of the lot for Freestyle. It’s a good “go-straight” lake tripper for a big guy and can hold a mountain of gear, but it’s not a canoe I would recommend for FS. For a FS canoe forget anything with differential rocker. The Baboosic and Wildfire should both work well for a guy your weight. If beauty is a factor for you the Baboosic has the classic lines and those juicy cherry ribs – very nice. My 2 cents. RK