What to do in this situation?

do i smell a field test…
who do we know that’s big and in a big boat…do the initials mc mean anything to you?

or is that enormous/enormous boat?

There is also the eskimo rescue which

– Last Updated: Jun-02-04 4:53 PM EST –

uses the paddle but you've got to practice it in order to use it. If you are right beside and parallel to the paddler when they go over and they know it it is fast and stable.

For a sea kayak situation if there was any possibility of unconsciousness I'd use the hand of god and pray.

If your normal release does not work: Grab skirt from side of bungee, or grab material of the deck at your side midway between waist and coaming. Leaning toward the grab can help. Rat swimming anyone? Maintain redundant techniques if your life is at stake.

My Take On The Assisted
recoveries, i.e. bow rescue, side by side paddle rescue, is that they are good largely in “practice sessions.” Someone is working a roll and a partner is right there to move in when the person needs it. And even then some folks bail just before the assisting boat gets there. Truthfully in most paddling situations, folks are pretty spread out. In any kind of condition with wind and waves, folks tend to be even less aware every moment of what someone else is doing. Banging on the hull may draw attention… Right… Don’t count on it.

Frankly, most folks without a roll don’t have the mental fortitude to hang in there and wait for an assisted recovery. Maybe a quick bang, bang (on the hull)… They want to get air, ASAP. But soon it will be – “Screw this!” Pull the loop and bail! Now, you’re talking an assisted rescue.

The HOG comes into play because the capsized person is passed/knocked out and/or can’t pop the skirt and then passes out. Either way, HOG is probably the last hope along with CPR.

sing

You are usually right as usual

– Last Updated: Jun-03-04 6:04 AM EST –

but it was a big thrill to me when a friend came back and said "that eskimo rescue thing works. I went over in the ocean and did not come out." Always good to have another trick around. practicing is good for you.

His fortitude and wherewithal though, not mine.

joe mess’s description
of the mano de dio is dead on. except the part about leaning forward. I don’t know if this is white water specific, i’ve only paddled moving water in a ww kayak a few times, and in surf, so I am not a ww expert. but for sea kayaking pulling the victim onto their back deck is easiest for the rescuer.

is this ww specific?

technique, technique, and practice
i’ve seen tiny people with lv kayaks perform the hand of god on larger kayaks,and larger people. this weekend at the wmcka symposium in a rescue class, a tiny female student, with very good technique, in an anas acuta pulled off a brilliant hog, on a giant of a man in a very HV plastic touring kayak. Granted it was flat water and only for practice. Brian does raise a good point about the relative size of both the kayaks, and the victim and the rescuer.

I make it a point if I paddle with someone larger than myself and with a kayak larger than mine, to offer to try a hand of god on them for the sake of practice.

really cranking down on the cockpit rim closest to you is helpful, and trying, if possible to get a hold of a pfd strap that is farthest from yourself.

yep. it is WW specific
If you have them on their back deck and you miss the HOG, they will be majorly exposed. I am going to try a seakayak HOG this weekend.

WW Boats

– Last Updated: Jun-03-04 5:54 AM EST –

some of the "spud" designs are so short relative to the paddler that s/he could probably hang almost off the far end. Some of the sterns of the playboats are very low volume in the stern and any weight there really unbalances the boat (thus the ability to squirt). Most ww boats will have the volume centered around the cockpit area. I could see how pulling the paddler up in a forward position would keep the weight and balance in the middle. Having said that, never did a HOG on a ww boat. Will have to try it. This past weekend though, did get to help with an assisted rescue of SOT in the middle of a mild rapid. Tossed the SOT over, leaned across and steadied the SOT and had the swimmer scrambled back in. Kind of a classic seakayaking assisted rescue technique.

sing

More useful for WW
Probably more useful in WW situation, when the rescue usually happens in the pool at the bottom of the fall where everyone is waiting. It makes the rescue faster. That’s all. Been there, done that.

Well, it could happen

– Last Updated: Jun-06-04 2:26 PM EST –

When we were demoing it to the group, it was Mike who did the H.O.G. on me. We looked at each other afterward and I just told him, "I'm not even gonna' try". Admittedly, I should probably work on my technique a bit.

HOG or Scoop
Big paddler and a big boat you say? Those initials sound familiar too :wink:

Two folks tried the scoop on me that day and neither could do it. The boat is big but people have done a hand o’ god and a scoop on me in the Gulfstream which is just as wide. I think the extra volume in the bow and stern of the shadow didn’t let the boat sink enough when the cockpit was filled with water.

Next year I’ll use an even tougher boat, more freeboard, longer, etc… he, he, he…