What was your first boat?

Mad River Explorer (royalex) 1986.

I still have it and am about to replace the wood for the third time. It started as a solo whitewater boat fitted with saddle and thigh straps and filled with flotation. Saw some class IV rapids. Later on it became a fishing canoe, fitted with small Spring Creek foam outriggers for stability and and a transom for a trolling motor.

First paddling craft was a Valley Avocet RM. I started rowing and sailing before I started kayaking so I had already gone through the gamut of rowing shells from an Alden Ocean Shell through a Peinert X25 racing shell and sailboats from a Sunfish to a Capri 22 and then a Herreshoff 12-1/2 (Doughdish) by the time the Avocet arrived on the scene. Many more kayaks and sailboats followed.

1 Like

Brodie"
You had a Herreshoff 12-1/2?
I’m really envious. Cool little boat. What did they call Herreshoff, the genius of Bristol or something like that?
I met some Madison rowers through cycling. Never tried it myself, though I always wanted to.

1 Like

There is a 1963 Herrschoff Marlin Classic 23’ for $4,000 on the Charlotte, NC craigslist that I would love to own, but can’t justify buying at this time as I would have to buy a trailer or pay to have it brought here, and rent a slip too. If I lived on the coast the temptation would be overwhelming. Just incase someone is interested here are the photos of it. I am also adding a photo of a 1975 Herrschoff Eagle 22 for sale near Charleston, SC. Yes I have a passion for boats, and can’t help looking. When I win the lottery it won’t take long for me to blow it on boats!!

There is the Herreshoff Eagle 22’ 1975 for $11,000 in Charleston.

3 Likes

“The Wizard of Bristol”. Any sailor who is ever in the vicinity of RI should visit the Herreshoff Museum in Bristol - well worth the time.

I owned a Marlin as well. Very cool boat but the 1950s rig modifications made the boat a little quirky to sail. Fantastic deep cockpit though. I’ll see if I can dredge up some photos of both. The Marlin was a 1965 and the Doughdish a 1981, I’m sure both are still going strong.

3 Likes

My first canoe was a 1992 Blackhawk Combi 15.8. Bought it for $875 during a Blackhawk demo day at CanoeSport in Ann Arbor. The owner/designer Phil Siggelkow was using it on the water and he wanted me to take a different one that CanoeSport had in stock but the one he was using had an amazing sculpted kneeling thwart (by far the nicest kneeling thwart I’ve ever seen) so I ended up with the one I wanted. Bought my first solo (Blackhawk Shadow 14) about a year later.

1 Like

As far as non-powered craft go my first were an 8’ homebuilt pram and a 10’ dinghy. I started kayaking around 1975 but didn’t own my own until 2002. I always had access to lots of kayaks and gear and pretty much always had boats that belonged to reps behind my garage. My very own first kayaks were an Arctic Tern 14 and a Coho that I built in 2002. Since then, I’ve always had a couple or three kayaks in the garage at all times. Currently I have a Tempest 170 Pro and a Sterling Progression.

A 1984 Current Designs Equinox, the first west coast paddler. Only sold it last year. I’ve had 6 boats in total.

After growing up on the family sailboats, and canoeing at summer camp, my first boat was a Grampian 26’ sloop. Hull number 10, got creamed in hurricane Gloria, and I got the boat for $1500, and proceeded to pour about $9000 into repairs and equipment. First canoe was a Dagger Reflection 15, which happened to have been the third to last of 18 boats I sold. Currently boatless, just to see what it feels like, after selling 5 this year, thinking I was moving.

In 1996 I bought a one year old Current Designs Solstice GT High Volume, still have it today. The yellow gelcoat is faded but it still brings a smile to my face every time I paddle it.

2 Likes

T Canyon, beat the snot out of it for a few years.

In 2001 or so I got a Coleman Ram X 17 and we took that thing everywhere.

Phoenix Appalachian in 1975 from Raupp Campfitters in AA. Still in use.

1 Like

My first was a row boat on Marsh Pond in New Durham NH.
Then canoes

First canoe was the 15" Coleman. We were a young, struggling family (Two preschool boys) so paying for such extravagance hurt but the kids absolutely loved being on the water. Worth every penny.

First kayaks were R5’s made by Great Canadian. Very basic piece of plastic. We bought four when the boys were older and took several trips. Great family memories.

delete

Our first was also a Jensen 18, kevlar 38lbs or so, that we purchase used. We sold it for $100 more than we paid after about 8 years of use (shipped it to a buyer in Maine). The money went toward our second boat, an Aleut Sea II (also sold about 10 years ago) as we transitioned to more open water paddling. I don’t miss the Aleut, but wish we still had the Jensen.

1 Like

Discovery 158. It was 10 years old when I got it set it up as a solo and I kept it for 15 years. It was heavy but It was a great boat. Converted it back to a tandem and sold it to a young family to enjoy.

My first boat was a 700 lb CoreCraft canoe. My first kayak was a blue Seda Swift, 1992.