What would you do in this situation (broaching kayak coming at you)

I do like the ‘drone’ coverage of the session.

Yeah, a bit too close for comfort for me, though I think I’m probably at the ‘safe’ extreme of this type of situation.
When I was learning, the location I was learning was dominated by surfers - I never practiced near them. I’d seen a WW paddler clobber into a surfer, damaging his board, not for me.
Well into my ‘learning’, to further decrease my chances of running over surfers or just anyone in the shallows, I learned a technique to get out of a ‘locked in broach’ (one that I couldn’t get out of).
I would intentionally roll (toward shore) - note, this action is very intimidating (especially in bigger surf), you are intentionally ‘windowshading’ yourself, staying underwater till the wave goes by.

How do you attach videos to posts? I have one of 2 buddies of mine doing that

OK, I figured it out. Here’s the video I mentioned. Sorry about the bobbing - I was bouncing when I shot it. surf9mute | Wayne Smith | Flickr

Thanks for sharing, Wayne. If I were the guy in the second kayak coming on, I would have flipped and rolled sooner, knowing that I was “out of control” in terms of adjusting speed and/or angle to avoid spearing the other kayaker.

He clearly had the (rolling) ability to abort but decided not to.

sing