What's considered good distance/speed?

GK
There seems to be some doubt about your speed.

After effects
Sounds like you had a good touring pace going there, especially noting your mention of feeling like you could have put a few more miles under the keel after your 8 mile stint.

For me recognition of how true my paddling form is comes the following day. The next day If I am free of aches and pains, and feel fresh to paddle on again is the best recognition that my form was good. However if any aches and pains are there, then there is room for improvement of my stroke, form and cadence.

Generally to me speed is not my issue. Establishing a relaxed and comfortable touring pace is what I am after.

After effects…good points!
Interesting what you are saying about aches and pains. Like I mentioned, I’m a cyclist and learned long ago, the legs must get conditioned with lots of miles before you learn what you really are able, and want, to do.

So, with yesterday being my longest paddle to date in a kayak, I’ve got no serious aches and pains. The neck muscles, and a back/ab muscle or two do feel like they’ve been worked. A bit more time in the boat will fix that.

Again, the point of my question is to establish a base line of what I should be doing. There are no groups on this side of Dallas.

I bought the yak for it’s peace, silence, and grace, to cruise (I own a power boat too…loud and fast) backwaters and for my love of ultralite camping and fishing. What I didn’t know was how far is “far” and how fast is “fast”, and what kind of pace won’t burn me out.

Thanks, everybody, for some great responses!

GPS tracking backs it up.

– Last Updated: Jun-01-07 10:30 AM EST –

GPS records everything

(don’t tell anyone)
(about the little mercury outboard)

I like to go about 100 feet offshore
and practice various directional control strokes, bracing and rolling, paddle around for a bit, then go home. Not much distance involved, but it’s fun.

Some numbers

– Last Updated: Jun-01-07 10:26 AM EST –

Quick Googling comes up with this:

Current record is 146 miles in 24 hours (that beat 137 in 24). Keep in mind, the boats where NOT Kestrels ;)

http://outside.away.com/outside/news/20060505_1.html

Whoops! More numbers:
15? miles/24 hours
http://race.fit2paddle.com/C2047168441/E20060816144453/index.html

what lake?
Are you near the coast?

I’m going to predict you moving up to a longer touring/sea kayak in the not too distant future and start piling up miles on the sea.

Most are in the sport for pleasure
not the speed. My post was a colorful remark, true…but I was laughing while I posted. As stated I did it for the fun of it and nothing else then I slowed down and enjoyed the rest of the day. You will do many thing to amuse yourself when paddling. Sometimes I wish I didn’t own a GPS and turn it off, other times I see how fast I can go, how fast I can paddle a mile.

Just enjoy every minute on the water.

and going south

shhhhhhhhh, it was a Honda

Atlanta, going to WS Tsunami 125
My Kestrel is in pretty rough shape so I’m going to a WS Tsunami 125 before too long. Would really like to try the ocean for the experience and to see what a 12 rec kayakss potential is there. I have no intentions of owning multiple boats. My kestrel and I have done alot together and like the river it is a personal relationship. Refusing to purchase the WS until the last minute. My saddest day will be the day I retire the Kestrel.

But you forgot to turn it off when
you got back in the car !

cheers,

JackL

GK
I meant Dryer but I could see you moving up and leaving some of us behind as well, you seem to be a pretty good motor for that craft…

12-footer average speed of 6 mph?

– Last Updated: Jun-01-07 4:14 PM EST –

i don't believe it. don't think the waterline would allow for such speeds. something is awry.

15-foot, well-designed canoes have a speed of 6 mph or so in theory. going above that you'd be planing.

i'd guess a 12-foot badly designed kayak would have a theoretic hull speed of 5 mph, if that.

AND I KNOW you're not planing a kayak.

If you can attain these speeds, you should race the 300-mile watertribe and mop the floor with world-class paddlers in their skinny, 20-foot surf skies.

So how fast can you paddle a mile

– Last Updated: Jun-01-07 7:18 PM EST –

in your twelve foot kayak?

I want to know how much of a handicap to ask for before I challenge you to a race?

cheers,
JackL

Don’t you think it would be stupid
to say something I couldn’t back up.

When it planes out the wheels
drop down

which side of dallas
check out dfwpaddlers yahoo group.

Bill reitzer-smith

get ready for china, then
if you can paddle that boat at an average of 6 mph over the course of 30 miles or so, we need you in the olympics next year. you’re a lock. if you don’t, you’ll be robbing this country of a gold medal.

i don’t think bruce barton can paddle a 12-foot sot 6 mph for 30 miles.