What's faster silhouette or arctic hawk

Two points

– Last Updated: Apr-27-06 1:07 PM EST –

1. "Olympian effort" came from wind/wave assist - not just the paddler. Read the words, not just the numbers. Getting over 9 mph running down some wind waves is nothing incredible, just incredibly fun. The 6.8 mph in the other direction is a very normal sort of sea kayak sprint number, no?

2. Some of us like using MPH because we are comparing to our running or cycling - and count our total distance in miles. We are measuring human output more than doing naval engineering calculations. Plus we get slightly higher numbers! My 5 mph cruising pace sounds better than 4.5 knots! ;)

PS - I looked over Oscar's GPS logs from a couple years ago (back when we had that great littel magazine "Hull Speed" - that covered such things). Some of his surfing runs top 16. Too cool!

Good points
However, making “whatever” speed over ground is NOT a measure of how fast a kayak is. In Seymour Narrows you can paddle at 15 knots!, but ya aint makin the boat go that speed through the water. So speed referrences are vague, and can be mis-leading.

Thanks…
I was beginning to believe it was all my fault that mine did weathercock somewhat. I am well known for being able to make good boats do bad things so wasn’t sure if it was me or the boat. Although, I thought it a bit fishy that he sold his own skegs …

Thanks again.

Scott

alex
did you get replaced by an alien? that is the first critical thing you said that was not padded with lots of hyper positive comments! I’m worried about you?

It must be a wisconsin thing.

Arctic hawk not for me
Got to try Arctic Hawk & thou it was fast wasn’t

what I was looking for. Good boat if out for

short paddle, but all day or trips wouldn’t

work out for me in this boat. Not sure how

it happened but in my travels eneded up buying

Boreal Ellesmere ocean cockpit. Boat is

fast, maneuverable but as I found out next day

in wind really skeg dependent. But price was

really good & fun boat to paddle. Never got

to paddle silhouette, there’s none in area to

test paddle or even within 5-6 hrs one way of

driving. May consider Impex force cat 3 or 4.

Ellesmere is a good boat
The Ellesmere is a good boat and one of the faster of its kind. You may find it more forgiving than a Silhouette would have been for you.

It is a kayak in which you will use the skeg more than some other models - but that is why it is on the boat.

Enjoy, you’ve made a choice you should enjoy.

I found the Outer Island
to track very strong and not respond well to correction strokes. It’s made for cruising and not rock gardens.

lol, guilty as charged…
although in my defense I did say that the AH was “well behaved” which is sorta positive. :slight_smile: I’m not sure if it’s a Wisconsin thing since I’m a displaced Chicagoan, but I figure there are enough cranky old people on this board that there isn’t a need to add a cranky young guy to the mix.

As for Mr. Rogers, me and him don’t see eye to eye. I respect his craftsmanship immensely but I would not be inclined to buy a paddle or boat from him solely because of his personality. (I’ve paddled and practiced with him several times so it’s not a one time impression.) I’ll get my paddles from Don Beale and if I ever need a handmade boat, I’ll be talking with Al Anderson and Pete Strand.

Alex…don’t hold back…
…really tell us what you think!!

Yes, Al/Betsie are very nice folks and have some sweet boats too. I have gotten real close to buying both a Recluse and Aral the last year - but didn’t quite get to do it due to financial obstructions. Oh well, there is always next year.

Scott

PS - Stay away from Robin’s Explorer LV - she is in love and you might get scratched if you approach too closely!!

Still want Silhouette
I’am finding out I really like shallow arched

bottom boats. Never really had much experience

with them till now. Did they make silhouette

with ocean cockpit. Probably not seaward but

possibly the dutch made ones.

I still haven’t seen it!
I got an email from Robin raving about her new boat when she got back home. One of these days I need to swing over to Lake Michigan and take her boat out for a swim. Hopefully I won’t like it too much or I may have to keep it. :slight_smile:

OC silhouettes…
I believe the dutch made Foster-Rowe Silhouettes had ocean cockpits although their quality was supposedly hit or miss. The Walden and Seaward Silhouettes have keyhole cockpits and their quality was more consistant.