Whats in your first aid kit?

Yup…
“The best thing I ever bought for my first aid kit was a Wilderness First Responder course.”

Couldn’t agree more.

Holmes

Besides the normal first aid stuff
I have 2 space blankets, wax fire starters and matches, bullion cubes, a 4 x 6 vinyl tarp, 32oz bottled water, one of those cheap vinyl air mattresses, an assortment of different pain relievers, and a backup two day supply of my normal daily meds.

Having once had to transport an injured person down river to reach a takeout where the person could be transferred to ground transportation, all of these items would have proven themselves invaluable had I had them.

Vet Wrap
One of the best suggestions I’ve seen lately is Vet Wrap. It’s the same as but less expensive than Kling elastic wrap. It clings only to itself and it won’t slip or loosen once its been applied. Cut it to any length needed.

Also a good idea to have if you take your dog along. Actually, for long trips I have a separate kit for the dog. Styptic powder is a good inclusion for a canine kit in case of torn nails.

PhilC

Dog first aid
Sportsmens Warehouse sells a dog first aid kit that is tops. You could sew your dog back together with it. (Or yourself. Sure it’s veternary grade stuff, but in a pinch…)

Taj

Duhhhhh!
That’s fine if you only injured a Duck!

You’d better pack some band-aids for yourself.

Good lists
I also have a small dental repair kit in my group first aid bag. It can be purchased at any drugstore and includes dental cement that can be used to temporarily fill a hole from a lost filling or to glue a dislodged crown back in place. As someone else mentioned above, my kit is kept in a small dry bag. On any group trip, I also like to encourage everyone to bring a small, simple personal first aid kit that can take care of minor cuts, etc. so you don’t have to break out the group kit just for a band-aid.

super glue
vet wrap stays on when wet also. some thing like bengay or tiger balm is also a nice addition never leave the house with out super glue in your kit you would be amazed at what it can do

Wilderness First Responder Course
Been there; done that.

It was worth the cost; especially since it was paid for by my place of employment.

BOB

Thanks for your ideas folks!
The reason for the post was to get these ideas to flow. Paddling season is upon us. Lets have a good time on our rivers and lakes. Anyone of us might have to help out a friend or foe before the year is out.

Besides the basics…
Imodium–you just never know…

toilet paper

antibiotic creams

butterfly bandages

liquid skin

Preparation H pads–just in case…

chemical heat packs

various gauze pads,

skin tape

Emergency dental stuff, including temp filling plus oral numbing agent

Eye wash

What I am adding

Sam splint

Silvadyne solution(if I can find it)

Betadye swabs

Sutures

Lancet kit

CPR mask

I have a clear dry bag it all fits in. Inside in zip locks I have divided the stuff into semi-logical units–bandages, cream, painkillers, etc.

Irrigate those lacs!
Don’t forget the irrigation syringe for cleaning out the lacerations before butterfly/superglue/sutures/gauze packing. You can get a big 60cc version at the Vet and Farm supply store when you pick up the Horse Wrap.