What's in your PFD?

At least we agree you don’t want to be separated from your boat. I don’t see the basis for your claim though that tying yourself to your boat (and presumably having rescue gear in your boat) is “a lot more useful” than carrying rescue/communication gear in your PFD. I have easy access to what’s in my PFD whether I’m in my boat, in the water next to my boat, or in the water having been separated from my boat. Where in YOUR boat are you carrying the gear that you aren’t carrying in your PFD? Are you going to be able to access it in heavy seas without the risk of losing it? If it’s loose in a day hatch, or in a dry bag under some deck bungees, I wouldn’t count on it. And I don’t know what you mean by “you are not going to last long with all that junk anyway.” It certainly sounds like you’re saying that rescue gear (or “junk” in your verbiage) on your person will make you die sooner, but I can’t believe you really mean that. In any case, the point is that if you have signaling gear close at hand, you won’t HAVE to last long…because you are more likely to get rescued sooner, or just rescued period. The “gear does not create skills” argument is a straw man’s argument. No one has posted here that gear is a substitute for training. Similarly, the statement that “what may be more valuable is practice in getting knocked down in large surf…” suggests a false dichotomy. It’s not an either/or situation. Practice skills AND have quality gear. They’re not mutually exclusive. As for Greenlanders etc “mostly” surviving, define “mostly.” I have no idea what the mortality rate was (do you?), but in any case, they (historically) didn’t have the option of carrying VHF radios and similar gear. They also didn’t have access to snowmobiles when they hunted, but now they do and they’re often used.

@SeaDart said:
I agree you don’t want to be separated from your boat. I use a paddle leash when paddling alone and some times a leash connected to me if going far off shore or in winds. Probably a lot more useful than loading your PFD. Check out how expedition kayakers paddling alone stay connected to their boats. Unless you are taking drinking water along in your PFD, you are not going to last long with all that junk anyway. What may be more valuable is practice in getting knocked down in large surf and maintaining control of your boat, getting back, in, or on and getting on with your trip. Gear does not create skills. Greenlanders, Aleuts, Inuits did not have VHF radios, and yet, they mostly survived.

That is a very baseless and useless answer to the OP question. What does getting knocked down in surf have to do with being able to handle an expedition or large ocean swell? Surfing and paddling rough water require completely different skills.

But either way again none of that answers the question.

What I carry in my PFD is based on what I’m doing. If I’m going out to surf I don’t carry much, maybe just some sunscreen, basic signaling device and my VHF goes into my deck pod. If it’s longer trip then I carry a small repair kit, water in a hydration pouch, vhf, signaling device, sunscreen, and a knife. I find it’s useful to have a ditch kit however. I keep a small dry bag in my stern hatch that includes everything from food, extra clothes to a bothy bag. I know some will say it’s best to keep it in a PFD but I think that’s nonsense. I paddle coastal waters in New England usually with five or more people m and we do not separate from one another.

@thebob.com said:

All the gear in the world doesn’t count for much;if you don’t check the weather, have good situational awareness, have the skills necessary to negotiate the venue you’re paddling, and make well reasoned decisions.

I don’t know how many times I’ve seen people in 15 hundred dollar boats; carrying or wearing another 15 hundred dollars worth of gear.
Training: they have none!
Toys; they got all of them!
Paddling skills: they couldn’t hit a 5 boat eddy if their life depended on it!
I love em! That’s where a lot of my boats, paddles, and misc… gear came from…

BOB

Update that to 2500 dollars of boat carrying or wearing another 2500 dollars of gear, with almost no training or practice, and you’ve hit the nail on the head for what I’ve seen, too.

The part that is worrisome, though, isn’t the expensive immersion wear and top-quality equipment itself–all that is good. The faith placed in rescue communications devices and infrastructure comes across as, “Well, if my shaky recovery skills don’t work, then someone [either in the group or in an external rescue organization] will save me.”

Judgment, training, and skills practice sometimes is playing second fiddle to having additional gear. They are not mutually exclusive, but they are not equally “safe”, either.

Earlier this spring, I read of three separate incidents in which people driving or hiking were rescued after going off the road or getting lost. Their reason for getting trouble? “The navigation system told me to go this way…”

@pikabike said:
The part that is worrisome, though, isn’t the expensive immersion wear and top-quality equipment itself–all that is good. The faith placed in rescue communications devices and infrastructure comes across as, “Well, if my shaky recovery skills don’t work, then someone [either in the group or in an external rescue organization] will save me.”

Are you referring to something that was said here, or just in general? Though I have seen what you’re describing as well, I didn’t get the sense this discussion was going in that direction.

I like pockets and sometimes I think that the only thing that keeps me afloat is the air trapped in my e-gear. Currently, I carry:
-storm matches, punk and candle in a vac-seal bag
-compass
-waterproof watch (I do not know why)
-waterproof flashlight
-energy/meal bars
-sports drink tablets
-waterproof monocular
-waterproof camera
-divers knife
-multi-tool (I’ve rescued wildlife with this)
-whistle
-line clippers to cut abandoned fishing line
-paracord bracelet on a d-ring over my shoulder
-couple carabiners
-signal mirror
small swiss army knife with corkscrew (good story here)

@SeaDart said:
Unless you are taking drinking water along in your PFD, you are not going to last long with all that junk anyway.

Can’t speak for others, but I did state that my paddling environment is fresh water. When I’m “in the drink”, it is literal.

@RikJohnson said:
I like pockets and sometimes I think that the only thing that keeps me afloat is the air trapped in my e-gear. Currently, I carry:
-storm matches, punk and candle in a vac-seal bag
-compass
-waterproof watch (I do not know why)
-waterproof flashlight
-energy/meal bars
… ETC

Holy crap. Hand that trophy for “most gear carried in PFD” over to Rik please…

Your buddies will be happy you came along if you’re marooned somewhere. If you share.

“Holy crap. Hand that trophy for “most gear carried in PFD” over to Rik please…
Your buddies will be happy you came along if you’re marooned somewhere. If you share.”

Unfortunatly, I DO share which is why my paddle buddies tend to leave much of their gear home when they go on trips with me.

My daughter thinks I was influenced by the Wizard of Oz in that I pack as if I were about to be sucked up by a tornado and dropped into the middle of the pacific.

BUT, I have used most of that gear at one time or another.

@RikJohnson said:
Unfortunatly, I DO share which is why my paddle buddies tend to leave much of their gear home when they go on trips with me.

My daughter thinks I was influenced by the Wizard of Oz in that I pack as if I were about to be sucked up by a tornado and dropped into the middle of the pacific.

BUT, I have used most of that gear at one time or another.

Well, I think that most of what you carry is very sensible. I’m considering adding some of the items you mentioned to my own kit, but I won’t be adding them all. :wink:

One thing I don’t see on your list though is some sort of rescue signaling device. Flares, PLB, VHF, satellite phone? You didn’t mention where you paddle, but if you did get sucked up by a tornado and dropped in the Pacific you’d be kinda screwed without at least one of those.

Your daughter may be on to something there. Maybe get rid of all that other stuff and just pack a pair of ruby
flippers. :smile:

Remember there are no stores out there to get something when your in trouble. That is what I tell honey! She only goes out from June to October.

Iam glad at least one person mention Greenlanders, Aleuts, Inuits and how they had pretty much nothing at least electronics wise. Why didn’t they need all sorts of crap. Easy they could either stay upright or roll in ANY conditions. Learn that then your safe. If tipping over means your swimming your skills are rather poor. Rolling one way on one side is NOT having a roll. At least 4 different rolls on both sides and can roll one handed. If you use one of those funny euro paddles can roll with half a paddle.

. Doesn’t mean you shouldn’t have some stuff in your pfd but much less likely to actually need it. On camping trips in Georgian Bay or the like I will have a NRS knife on PFD. In PFD a VHF in the radio pocket, PLB in zippered pocket with tether VHF is also tethered. Protein bar and camera. I also use a Kokatat hydration pack on back of PFD. Oh a whistle though never touched one in years.

Mirror
Whistle
Strobe/flashlight
Car key

much more seems excessive for close-to-civilization paddling like I usually do.

If I was wilderness tripping more often, I’d put together the “Kitchen Sink” PFD list like in the OP. If rescue is not eminent, best to have a backup plan attached to you.

Dry bags and Pelican boxes are where my important equipment goes.

@MCImes said:

Last summer when coastal paddling on Lake Michigan I felt I was close to civilization because I could always see a home somewhere along the waterfront. Figured that if I got into trouble, surely someone on the shore would see me, right?

Then I realized I had no idea if any of those homes were occupied as a majority are weekend/summer vacation homes. That’s when I decided it might be wise to carry a PLB. So I do. It’s my Plan C, but I’m glad to have a Plan C.

@dc9mm said:
Iam glad at least one person mention Greenlanders, Aleuts, Inuits and how they had pretty much nothing at least electronics wise. Why didn’t they need all sorts of crap. Easy they could either stay upright or roll in ANY conditions.

Some sources would disagree with this. A surprisingly small percentage, if history can be said to have any accuracy, could roll as proficiently as you say.

What I think kept them the safest was their sheer numbers. As long as they had a few strong and skilled paddlers in the group, all someone had to do was hold their breath for a bit and wait for another to come and help them up.

It doesn’t negate your point though. I’m an advocate of having plenty of skills and practicing them often.

@Rookie said:

@MCImes said:

Last summer when coastal paddling on Lake Michigan I felt I was close to civilization because I could always see a home somewhere along the waterfront. Figured that if I got into trouble, surely someone on the shore would see me, right?

Then I realized I had no idea if any of those homes were occupied as a majority are weekend/summer vacation homes. That’s when I decided it might be wise to carry a PLB. So I do. It’s my Plan C, but I’m glad to have a Plan C.

If I were in very serious trouble, I’d only hesitate for half a second before breaking into a home. If warranted, does it not qualify as “Necessity”? Even if it didn’t, I’d rather pay a fine and/or have a criminal record than be dead - if those were the likely options. I’d be the first one to thank and apologize to the owners, not to mention pay for any damages incurred as soon as I was ok again. Following an explanation, I think most people would be ok with it. Of course, here in Canada I don’t have to worry too much about getting shot in the process either.

In the winter, I tend to pick my destinations specifically where there are houses and cottages so that in an emergency I’d have shelter close by. That’s not to say it would be plan A though. It would be much farther down the list, like maybe F or G, hence the other stuff I carry.

I paddle inland lakes and rivers in the desert so I am never more than a couple miles from anyone. Generally, I am within feet of a speedboat.
Worst case scenario is that I get blown across the lake and embayed for a day until the wind dies down.

I use the same Kokatat PFD as the OP. Stuff varies a bit but the basic things always there:

• Strobe stays on left rear shoulder
  • My Garmin InReach Explorer GPS/emergency communicator. Does double duty and is a great waterproof GPS. I keep it on a diver’s Gear Tether clipped to my right shoulder
  • Sunscreen stick and ChapStick
  • A tethered signal mirror & whistle
  • A Benchmade H2O Fixed knife (Always carry a knife since getting snagged and caught in abandoned fishing line going under a low railroad trestle on Great Bay in New Hampshire 15 years ago)

For longer trips or if not in sight of civilization:

• Marine VHF (mostly for weather)
  • Cellphone in waterproof case
  • Energy bar or energy gel/blocks
  • Water on back

And if I’m wearing a drysuit or dry top (with wrist gaskets) I’ll clip my digital watch to my left shoulder. Otherwise I wear it on my wrist or on the outside of a wetsuit sleeve.

The rest goes in a small watertight case in a day hatch or other hatch. Includes basic repair stuff, space blanket or bivy sack, maybe an MRE, some rope, tape, a lighter or other firestarter.

Has anyone said “me” to the OP’s question?