What's too cold to paddle?

Was too cold for me at
5 deg celcius or in your terms 41f. That was ok for the last freshwater fishing of the year but end of enjoyable temps.

Right now it is -30c or -22f. Traded canoe in for a toboggan at end of November when it reached 0c or 32f. Everything very frozen including the canoe in the snowbank.

Is this Cold enough for you …
Corran who put’s these together is the designer of Dragorossi kayaks like the Squashtail and Fish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dofPl12HmV4&feature=channel_page

Too cold is when…
…I’d rather be skiing then paddling. :wink:

Right now my “cold weather gear” is basically a wetsuit, gloves, wool hat and socks, mukluks and some outerwear and mid 40s on a windy day in November was the last time I paddled and even I found myself wishing I had better gloves. A windless, sunny day would probably have me happy in the 40 degree range.

This winter I had the choice between buying new ski boards (basically short skis) or a dry suit and went for the skis. I’ve skied in below zero temps a lot and it doesn’t phase me, even when I’m skiing in the rain but when you ski you are moving constantly (except for those long rides on the lift…Brrrr). I’m just not into being cold AND wet paddling for long periods of time and until I have a proper drysuit and can self rescue properly I won’t venture into the really cold water. IMO hypothermia is the real deal and I respect that cold water. We got lots of ice on the rivers now, this being the coldest winter we’ve had in quite awhile.

However some of my fellow club members have done paddling when it’s snowing and it sounds fantastic. Paddling down a river with everything covered in snow sounds great. With some more training and a drysuit I can see giving it a try for next year. Like one person pointed out, I want to be at the point where I can survive should I find myself IN the water. Not there yet. I’m really looking forward to spring. Figure in these parts (central NJ) I can head out on the water again in March.

It is never too cold!!!
http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/1120361930049735028wGQhTz

What the hell is a drysuit? Never owned one, haven’t seen the need yet.

Paddle easy,

Coffee

2 cold 2 paddle
well when dat the ice is frozen and dat cant paddle on current water but sit on dat frozen ice,thast mean duh it 2 cold 2 paddli9ng…this answer your question…

Personally…
The questions for me are how likely it is that I’ll have to roll, and the coldest water temps in which I can do so. That’s about cold shock to the face, not the body which can be layered to protect the body to ridiculously cold water temps with really good layers.

The other is hands - again, I can protect my body better than I can protect my hands even with scuba gloves.

Personally I wouldn’t try anything moving in temps under about 45 degrees (water temp) because somewhere in there I’d be concerned about either gasping or having to wear so much covering that it’d feel too claustrophobic. I am much less restrictive for flat water because it is much easier for me to avoid capsize and exit/wearing a more covering head piece is easier since a helmet isn’t critical.

You obviously didn’t…
Click on the link in my post above???

Paddle easy,

Coffee

Yer kin’ lead a canoo ta water…
but waan it’s solid yer kin’ only drag it de rest o’ de way…

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2492723560094647494tkcKLG

FE