Where are all the kayaks?

I’m gonna advise you to not get the Tetra 12…because I’m eyeing it up and am waiting for it to come in stock also :stuck_out_tongue:

My local Walmart never got many Kayaks in stock. No more than 2 or on one or two occasions 3 at a time. Most were sold in a few days. I’d say we had a total of 20-25 kayaks the entire season.

I don’t go to Walmart but Academy Sporting Goods was loaded with them a month ago

I think the rec boat manufacturing drought is over. Was in Dunham’s today looking for a set of wall slings. Store didn’t carry them but there was a long wall of kayaks jammed close together, including some enormous SOTs that look like they’d be great for waterfowl hunting.

Shoot they’re at Tractor Supply.

1 Like

Bicycling industry is similarly hard hit.

As for SOT’s Field and Stream/ Dicks had a bunch, at least in one of their NY stores, which would make me think that you could order one.

As someone potentially looking for a late season deal on a sea kayak, I’m hoping there’s some 'new old stock" or floor models to be had. I’m also hoping my size means there might be some boats tucked away that shorter/slimmer paddlers didn’t buy.

Our local rec boat store is similarly stuffed. And maybe there will be sales as they don’t want to keep them over the winter. Snow is not that far away

Werner paddles website shows paddle spec’s, prices, etc. but most are “Sold Out”.

1 Like

Not sure where you’re located, but I’m a Great Lakes paddler and there are loads of sea kayaks on the used market in my region.

You might get lucky and stumble on a great deal.

1 Like

Werner and Kokatat have little to sell. No clue how you exist like that.

1 Like

Not trying to be a snob but anyone looking at Wal-Mart for a kayak isn’t going to drop the coin for a Werner paddle.

1 Like

Sorry, I didn’t realize this topic was limited to the kayak shortage shortage in Walmart and discount stores…actually our local Ocean State Job Lot stores have a number of kayaks that fall into that category. Kittery Trading Post (Maine) updates their kayak inventory daily (not too many Werner paddles) while the Eastern Mountain Sports website does not show individual store kayak inventory; searching “kayaks” results in shoes, clothing, etc. Visiting an EMS store, the sale associates can be helpful. Last week I purchased a Tsunami 140 at EMS, leftover from 2020, priced $150 less than the current price. The 59 mile ride was well worth the trip.

You’re probably right about that weed, but the paddles at those stores are not . . . not sure what to say. Aqua and Werner make some nice paddles in the $150 to $250 range. A novice may ask, why buy a $300 boat and spend that much for a paddle? Because you will upgrade the boat if you enjoy kayaking and want to venture further. I’ve seen many kayakers in $3,600 boats using a $189 Aqua carbon shafts with fiberglass reinforced nylon blades and they were as content as a dog in front of a fireplace.

I’ve heard that it’s not uncommon for classical violinists to pay more for a bow than they paid for the violin. The paddle is what transfers your power to the water. The boat sits there, but you swing the paddle and feel every shortcoming.

By the way, if you’re near Harrisburg, PA, Blue Mountain Outfitters has walls of paddles in just about every size shape and model; fantastic store. I drove an hour and forty five minutes to pick up two paddles last month thst I couldn’t find anywhere else, even on line. Great staff. They also had deck fittings that I couldn’t find elsewhere. Bungee cords, reflective deck line, rudder cord . . .

1 Like

Nice find, klb. BMO didn’t have much stock in kayaks.

I looked at BMO’s website and really hate that I am so far away. I could see me adding to my collection of “stir sticks”. By the way my first paddle was a Werner. My favorite ones are the wooden ones Bending Branches make. The little bit of spring the wood gives helps my old shoulders.

That is true but the ratchet up in bows is also a factor of supply shortage, one which long precedes anything CoVid. The best string bows are made of old growth pernambuco, last of which was harvested by the late 1950s. There are a finite number of those bows in the world, and they are tools so get broken. By another couple of decades most of those bows will be gone.

The best alternative long term is likely to be carbon fiber bows which can hope to emulate the draw and the warmth of sound that these old bows can pull out an instrument. And these bows are getting better.

Meanwhile, because modern luthiers have really figured out the geometries to create a pretty wonderful violin etc, the prices of all but the pedigreed elite instruments have stayed in a more reachable range than the bows. For a young violin player vying for a symphony placement, it would be common for their bow to appraise at twice their instrument.

I can’t speak to the numeric relationship for other stringed instruments,like cello, because those are more expensive. But the disproportionate increase in bow value against the instrument is the same.

They have a nice assortment of beautiful wood kayak paddles. They never caught my interest until I picked up and swung a few paddles on their rack. They felt nicely balanced that swing weigh didn’t seem to be an issue. They said they don’t have online sales, but if you see something they have, they will pack it and ship. No idea about shipping fees.

I believe a good quality paddle is worth the money, but I have no problem switching off on paddles to let a guest try my higher end paddle. It shocks me when they prefer the less expensive model.

I do believe that the benefit of a high end paddle isn’t really apparent unless you are really pushing the envelope. That actually only happens during solo trips.

I’m curious about your comment that the spring in the wood is welcome. I found “flex” in a paddle to be a distraction, but It sounds like you’re describing a more controlled feel. If I get the chance to try one, I’m going to jump at it.

The little bit of spring is like a shock absorber on your car. It gives just enough to smooth out the ride. I have told other older paddlers about this effect and they said that explained why they felt better after using a wood paddle even though it was heavier than their carbon paddles.

I need to take a closer look.

No slings but I bought a pair of these for $25 at Ocean State Job Lot
images