Where are the Canoers?

I agree that a lot of the skills carry over. In general, I think we put a lot of emphasis on strokes but in moving water how you shift your weight, edge the boat, and the ability to “read” water are just as important. As you get more connected to the boat it becomes less about the strokes in ww and more about the lower body and hull angles. In other words, going from a wwc1 to wwk1 wasn’t a very big deal for me. Ferrying a ducky, a raft, c1 or a kayak isn’t all that different once you understand the current and angles.
The goon stroke works well in a paddle raft, not so much in a canoe. Correction strokes like the pitch, indian, or j strokes simply aren’t needed in a kayak once you master subtle corrections on each stroke. The need shifts away a bit in tandem boats and I would think canoes built for speed would focus primarily on good core rotation but wouldn’t that also be true for racing kayaks? Entry and exit points and angles would very a bit depending on the paddle type.
Low braces just seem more awkward with a kayak paddle but are still effective.
My ultimate goal is to catch eddies and do ferries with as few strokes as possible. I haven’t worked my way up to just hand paddles. I get too worn out.

2 Likes

Then there are some of us that paddle for the simple pleasure of being on the water and getting from point A to point B with aging bodies best we can while drowning worms along the way.

I don’t get much love from ether group sitting in the middle of a previous tandem canoe in a comfortable seat back paddling with a 260 cm kayak paddle. Then again I often have someone ask about my 147 flamingo or say that looks like the way to go.

It works for me and 99% of my paddle partners are in rec-kayaks. Guess who gets asked to haul the cooler?

8 Likes

I love canoeing—still think of myself as a canoeist—but the combination of limited storage space and my usual paddling body of water (Lake Michigan) nudged me towards a kayak.

1 Like

This is true, and some of us use other human-powered watercraft or even wind-driven craft to enjoy the water. To each his own, enjoy what you do and how you do it.

1 Like

For me both craft work for camping. At least the ones I own do. When paddling a river in my canoe, I love it the best, but when I am paddling the coast in my sea kayak, I love it the best. There is a grace of body and motion in both and unless you paddle just a straight line there is a variety of paddle strokes and skill sets required in both. A straight course is just one of them.

5 Likes

Not sure why I do it, i just do it and don’t even look around.

I do both

1 Like

On the water! Last 24 hours above

4 Likes

I’ve heard that works for girlfriends also.

Two canoes and one kayak out Sunday - mid 60’s and blue skies. At least we had the kayak outnumbered.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/eckilson/albums/72177720315228854/

2 Likes

Kayakers are famous for asking canoeists to carry some of their equipment.
I built a sea kayak. Where does the dog, the cooler and the two burner stove go?
I sold it and went back to canoes.

1 Like

A SOT will almost carry that much.

SOTs paddling in the Yukon1000 mile race are required to carry all supplies, including camping gear, and all of their food to last completely unsupported from any outside ground assistance or resupply for at least 10 days on the river. Surprisingly, there are entries every race year.

1 Like

I didn’t mean to start any fights. No disrespect to kayakers was intended. I just love canoeing. I am primarily a camper, but I discovered that canoeing takes my camping experiences to a whole new level. I hope yall all have some fun doing what you love to do. I just placed the order for a new Esquif Prospecteur 16. Can’t wait for it to come in so I can take it down some of those shallow-rocky west Texas rivers. I have a Wenonah Minnesota 3 and an Old Town Penobscot 174, but they are more suited to the deep and wide east Texas Rivers. Headed on a 3-day Neches River trip in a few weeks. Happy paddling, yall!

7 Likes

Congrats on your new boat. Any human powered craft on order is cause for celebration and anticipation.

3 Likes

Don’t know what you’re on about mate, but I started in kayaking and would say most of the skills I learned there transferred well to canoeing. Especially how and where I paddle, which often involves using one of my double blade paddles (makes paddling against that Kansas wind much easier).

Love my solo canoe, so does the pup who I can’t fit in my kayak. As long as you’re on the water, safe, and having a good time that’s what matters.

3 Likes

The doggos will definitely get you into a canoe and that’s its own skill :wink:

3 Likes

With all my kids, the canoe works out much better as well. When I first bought my M3 I took 3 of my children for a quick paddle and swim on the San Marcos River. https://youtu.be/ON5OsSCPuHw?si=9QHYjHQsGWofECwe
I’ve had 4 people and all my camping gear in it since then.

4 Likes

Awesome video. That’s the kind of thing I planned on doing with my grandkids, so I bought the Novacraft Prospector 18. However, they’ve now decided that they want to paddle their own kayaks, and have grandma and I paddle the canoe with the dog and the supplies.

3 Likes

I have 5 daughters and 2 sons so someone is always coming with me. I just ordered my 3rd canoe and hope to take them all at some point. But my oldest is 500 miles away in college. :frowning:

2 Likes