Where around here is good to practice self rescue?

Better choice than the other boat by miles, , though I would like it better if it had deck lines. The ones I saw pictured seemed to lack that but maybe that is not always so…

Most of the cheap used kayaks don’t have much for on-deck carrying such as deck lines. Although deck lines are a modification that is pretty easy on a plastic kayak, I’m not sure if punching rivets for deck lines is a problem in fiberglass. I’m not terribly interested in them now though.

The deck lines are not for carrying stuff. They are for rescues and for rafting up with other kayakers. Without the lines, it can be difficult to find a place where you can grab a proper hold of the kayak in those situations.

@midtempo said:
I live in Lynn, Massachusetts. I have a new kayak on the way. It’s “pool toy” quality but that’s fine enough for me. I have previously paddled rental kayaks only.

I would like to practice self-rescue in the area. Although she will be always wearing a life jacket, I am not confident on my wife’s swimming skills. Should she capsize, I would be responsible for helping her get back in the kayak or righting it while she swims to shore. I don’t feel that I need to sign up for a class; I have seen REI videos and it’s a matter of practicing it.

Where is a good place to practice rescue around here? There are plenty of places to kayak, but most ponds (such as the nearest to me, Flax Pond) don’t allow swimmers. Some ponds don’t allow boaters. Many ponds are thick with weeds and rumored to be deadly to swim in, which I don’t quite understand. Some areas, especially rivers, have too many boaters who would be in the way or have currents due to the tide. The ocean is cold around here – around 65 degrees perhaps – but that is a latch-ditch possibility. I am trying to avoid having to practice in a cold harbor. I do not own a wet suit.

I guess I might have to go all the way out to the Mystic Lakes in Medford. Is there anything closer?

You are in North Shore Paddlers Network (NSPN) territory. I believe NSPN occasionally does (rescue and rolling) practice occasionally at Mystic lake. More consistently, there is a north shore/cape ann group that meets/practices pretty regularly at Chebago Lake somewhere off route 128, going towards Cape Ann.

sing

ex-nspn’er

Good choice on the boat and happy paddling! Many more good times to be had on the water. Enjoy

Yes, Midtempo you have to get it straight between bungie cords and deck lines. Bungie cords are for carrying stuff, including a spare paddle which l don’t consider optional for myself. Deck lines, as said above, are for hanging onto the boat in a capsize. The two are not remotely the same.

I read the paddling.com article on deck lines. It seems you mean, more precisely, perimeter lines:

https://paddling.com/learn/deck-lines-rigging/

I’ll see how I do in a practice capsize situation without the perimeter lines and, if it’s difficult, I can always rig them on later. It does seem that the cockpit rim should be easy to reach but, then again, I haven’t actually tried it yet from in the water.

I’m so happy we got you off to a good start of what we expect to be a long paddling career.
Thanks for being willing to take tips

midtempo, I just wanted to come of the grumpy side and say I am glad you ended up with a more capable boat. I looked at the resources for self rescue on this site under Learn, an between the two I found they cover the options.

I wanted to give an update. I’ve done six paddling trips so far, although three of them are on the local, small Flax Pond in Lynn. I’ve grown bored of the local pond, but I loved the Ipswich River and Essex Bay. Last weekend was the first time I tried an ocean trip (in Essex Bay) and it was a blast. Crane Beach is paradise, although with many other boaters and beachgoers who feel the same. The kayak handles the ocean quite well, even waves and wake.

I practiced a self-rescue at the Ipswich River Park in North Reading. This is an ideal place to practice because there is a (artificial) sandy beach, a pond-like area to practice with no bathers or lifeguard, and clean river water that was a very nice 80 degrees. I say that having no lifeguard is an advantage because a lifeguard is likely to question what looniness I’m up to. My wife was there in case something went wrong.

Flipping the kayak in the water was surprisingly easy. There was none of that nightmare scenario I read about with the cheap plastic kayaks. I was unable to get back in the kayak without a paddle float but I was able to drag the kayak back to shore and pump it out.

I practiced the self-rescue again on a calm part of Essex Bay last weekend, this time with the paddle float. and was able to do everything successfully – hold onto the boat, flip the boat, get my paddle and paddle float, mount the paddle and float to the boat, pump the paddle float, get back in, and pump out some of the water; then paddle to shore and finish pumping it out. I feel more confident now being in the middle of a pond or bay, which is good. Waves in ocean water are still new and iffy to me, but this kayak handles it well and I can keep close to shore in that situation. I will practice a self-rescue in (mildly) wavy ocean water some time soon.

I did not need a class to learn this, but I would recommend a class for many other people who are either less confident swimming or have less previous boating experience. I can see where full-size waves are a problem in a rescue situation and where the combination of cold water and waves are dangerous. Fortunately, the ocean water is around 70 degrees now.

Good for you, midtempo!

Congrats that you got wet and succeeded in a rescue!

Great to hear. I’m sure you’re leaving all the 10’ pool toys in the dust. Paddle on!

Congratulations.

You write that you mounted the paddle to the kayak. I suppose this means that you secured the paddle under the deck lines to hold it in place during the self rescue.

You should be aware that when doing this there is a quite large risk of breaking a deck fitting (I have done that) or breaking the paddle (I know others who have done that).

So as a next step in your practice sessions, I would suggest that you train holding the paddle with your hands during the rescue, without securing it under the lines.

If that fails, at least try to only secure it under the line which is farthest away from you while using your hand to hold the paddle and the line closest to you connected. This will greatly reduce the risk of breaking anything while still making it somewhat easier to keep the paddle in the correct position.

Also, you write that you inflated the paddle float after connecting the paddle to the kayak. I imagine that you had to let go of your grip in the kayak to get into a position where you could inflate the paddle float. In that case you run a risk of losing the kayak if the wind or another wave pulls hard enough to remove the paddle from the deck lines.

I would suggest doing it in this order instead:

1. Do not right the kayak. Just leave it in the capsized position while holding it with one hand.
  2. Put one leg into the cockpit. This will secure the kayak so it can’t be ripped away from you. Now you have two hands free.
  3. Put the paddle shaft under one armpit with one paddle blade just in front of you.
  4. Put the paddle float on the paddle blade just in front of you and inflate it.
  5. Right the kayak. Because of the buoyancy of the paddle float near your armpit, you will be able to use more force for righting the kayak, thus having a better chance of getting some water out.
  6. Do the self rescue.