Where to buy in central-eastern MA?

The beauty of Websites…
(or good ones) is that just about all of them will show a listing of the boats and brands carried by the respective shop. Of course, a follow up call to confirm is always advisable.

For example, think you are referring to the kayak centre and charles river canoe and kayak. Both carry a variety of sit on tops, rec kayaks, day touring, expedition boats, ww kayaks, etc. What neither carry is waveskis. :wink:

sing

Thank you
for leaving me the option of maintaining my privacy. Most generous of you. I didn’t speculate out of thin air. I drew an inference from past threads. My inference was incorrect, so I apologized.

But if I tell you where I live, what I paddle, etc., then can I speculate out of thin air?

True …
… But on the other hand, if the OP said he was looking for a rec boat, of a fishing kayak, folks might included recommendations more traditional sporting goods stores. Like Natick Outdoor Store, REI, etc, rather than a shop know more for sea kayaks.

So, by my way of thinking, which can of course may appear to be convoluted at times (to others that is … somehow I seem to make sense to my self at least) about how to answer a question like the OP posed, the first thing that comes to mind is “What kind of boat are you looking for?”.

Read the OP again
without feedback from…her…everything else is speculation.

A good dealer will work with a customer to fit their needs.

I stand corrected …
… OP would seem seem to be female … also also indicates her desire for a more full service shop with demo’s.

Though we be a wandering
paddling is still a male domainated activity and it seems natural to assume that the poster is male.

More details
Yes, I’m female.

I currently own a red, 13’ Old Town Castine. I have enjoyed this kayak for quiet water paddling, though it is a bit heavy. It’s very stable. I’m looking for a company that has try outs primarily for friends of mine. But you never know, I might be ready for a lighter-weight kayak of the same type. I don’t have any real desire for more exciting water, but I do occasionally think I’d like to go longer distances, overnight.

Thanks for the leads. I don’t care who provides the leads as long as I get 'em. I’m old enough to remember how useful a real telephone book was, with yellow pages for business listings. The Interwebs are great but sometimes it’s impossible to find things right in your own backyard.

Billington Sea and KTP
I wanted either a Pungo 120 or 140 to accommodate my rather large size. I liked the 120 better because of it’s light weight but wanted to try both before I purchased because some things you can’t find out from a brochure.

I went to Billington Sea and after trying the 140 I fell in love with it but they didn’t have it in the color I wanted and told me I’d have to wait 3-4 weeks before they had others to choose from.

I called around and found what I wanted at Kittery Trading Post for about $80 cheaper.

Negotiating price
Some dealers are willing to negotiate prices or match prices. I don’t think Billington is one of them, although they’re fine folks in other respects.

Charles River C&K
I didn’t buy from them (don’t live there anymore), but they allowed free demos (in 2002), and they also rent kayaks if you want a longer test period. They offer classes and guided tours, too.

The Newton location is right on a flat-water section of the Charles River. They have two other locations as well. I think one is summer-only, at a lake in Framingham area? And the other one is in Boston, for saltwater access? Locals, please correct me if I’m wrong.

" $80 cheaper" !!!
what will it cost you in gas and time to get to Kittery and back?

Jack L

a wash
Sales tax in MA is higher. 1.25 percent higher. 4 hours travel round trip if Boston traffic is nice and 200 miles of gas. Gas is about 3.75 per gallon.

Say 40 bucks…Plus $2 each way for NH tolls.

but the bottom line is if you want followup service…a bargain may not be a bargain

Consider buying used
There are lots of good used kayaks for sale all the time, many of them barely used. Certainly there should be a lot in the greater Beantown environs. Many owners will let you test paddle their boats.

As to dealers, I certainly hope they are allowed to post links to their stores in threads like these. I agree they should identify themselves.

As to Kayamedic, I can confirm she’s not a dealer, but she probably has a larger and more impressive inventory of canoes than most any dealer remaining in New England. Sometimes she gives away canoe maps with grocery store receipts folded inside.