Where to order gear online?

Love it Brian!
Mine is not the “pro” version with the tow loop. Much better freedom of movement and as you said, it doesn’t ride up. Have used it twice so far.

Here is one of the photo’s Fat Elmo took of me with it on!

https://picasaweb.google.com/FatElmoCanooShack/Andy_SSNewKooler#5624534631895758434

andy

nice cooler
Guess that’s your trophy for entering the canoesters. Congrats.

campmor
I’ve used campmor for a variety of outdoors goods, I think since before there was an internet, always good prices and service.

+1 for
Outdoor Play.

+2
for Outdoorplay. Good people, personal service, and I’m FB friends with Stacy, who’s a pretty cool girl.

mec.ca
Although they don’t carry kayak fishing gear.

ACK Austin Canoe and Kayak
I have bought a lot of equipment from them. They have a knowledgeable staff if you have any questions about gear. Free shipping with orders over $39. Fast shipping.

I bought my SOTs through them. They strive on customer service.

spend it where you live
Ask your local shop to order whatever you’re looking for. It’ll save you money on shipping and they should match any online prices. If your shop won’t order something for you or price match, then they need to get with the times.

Try to think about how much more a little sale matters to a small shop than an online giant big box. Seriously, sometimes a couple more little sales for a mom and pop will make their day. Joe Blow at Cabella’s couldn’t care one bit about you buying anything there.

so you dont see
The irony of expecting the price match like the big stores, but for god sakes don’t go there. Typical coupon nation stuff. Everybody wants the gimmicks of the giants but in the local store. Can’t have it both ways.

Ryan L

Local or Rutabaga
I get most stuff from local paddling shops. If there is something unusual that they don’t carry, I order from Rutabaga in Wisconsin. They seem like a good place to deal with, and they know there stuff for sure.

well
Price matching isn’t a gimmick in my opinion. From my perspective i’d rather match a price for somebody, not make full margin, and make a customer rather than have them go somewhere else.

It’s called competition. Big box or not.

Consumers are pickier than ever and small shops need to compete hopwever they can.

I believe people naturally want to support their local businesses but are compelled by lower prices to shop elsewhere.

price match my azz
I used to work in a big volume Suzuki dealership, but lived for Kawasaki, and was sponsored by a Kawasaki dealer, albeit a small one. I would buy Filters, Helmets, all sort of stuff from my shop, then sell them to the Kawi dealer at my cost. Big difference in what the dealer would pay, based on volume. Sold car tires wholesale, same deal. I had 3 sheets; 3 different prices, same tires. Now I’m into mountain biking. I bought 4 water bottle holders for $20 online, local dealership would cost me $52. We’re not even close here.

really
Read what you are writing. You suggested he buy local. But then said the local shop should price match big box. When we all know that its not a fair competition. There is a reason that a lot of local stores go into the internet business. Then they can buy in greater volume, but still offer knowledgeable local and online support.

The loss in margin for the local store is whether or not some gets paid or the owner gets to take a salary. The loss in margin for the big box is an acceptable loss until the local store leaves.

This board is full of threads about customer service and local shops, I hope that folks check there coupons and return policy arguments at the door of their local paddle shop.

Ryan L.

I’ll ask politely
Sometimes I want something that is available locally for much more than online. I usually ask my local dealers if they are willing to accept what I feel is a fair price.

E.g. if the online price is $100, plus $10 shipping and handling, and my local dealer is selling the same thing for $130, I may offer $115 to the local dealer. Generally, if the local dealer is willing to come close to the discount retailer, I’m going local. On the other hand, the local merchant who sets prices that are extremely high and then gets defensive when asked if there is any flexibility will likely loose my business.

If I recall rightly, isn’t there a
website for kayak fishing? I’m not into fishing but perhaps someone here knows somthing about this website.

I would think it contained ads for vendors.

ok
So, one of the things i’ve learned dedicating my life to my family’s small local outdoor shop through thick and very thin is that making a new customer or keeping a current customer is one of the most important things i can do.

I don’t mind it when someone comes in and says “I saw this item online on sale for 20 bucks less. Can you match that price for me because i’d really rather get it from you.” And i hear that quite a bit.

They didn’t have to turn off their computer, get in the car, and drive to my shop. They could have simply hit the buy it now button and i would have made zero dollars. Instead they like coming to see me and chatting and getting something they like. If that means i make 5 dollars instead of 25, well then i take the hit and keep the customer.

Maybe that business practice eventually bankrupts us. It’s ok if other retailers don’t do it. That’s their perogative. More than anything its something we do to ensure that people come back and feel comfortable buying something from us.

I don’t just read what i write. I live what i write.

And i sincerely hope that the OP goes back to his local shop and orders something, chats with a friendly face, and goes home happy