Where to toss the apple core

I
find the seeds taste…just like another kind of nut with a slightly differant flavor…I eat the entire core and never worry about where or how to throw perfectly good food.

Best Wishes

Roy

I would only do it
if I saw someone else do it first

Hey, this is a science topic …
… not an ethics topic. Although the ethics would be interesting if I revealed that I had picked the apple off a tree right there.

I should add for the biodegradation issue that the swamp is about 98% water and 2% land at the average water level it was at. The water is filled with all varieties of carp, gar, catfish and many other ugly things I don’t understand. There is probably minimal land animal life.

My hypothesis was that the apple core, like the kilotons of other floating vegetative detritus, would eventually sink into the botanical muck on the bottom of the swamp.

Don’t forget the tons of treated sewage
Columbia dumps into the Congaree River that flows guess where.

I am disappointed though.The orange peel post, based on a real incident,hit 200 easy and it got really ugly!

One of my finer no troll intended efforts.

Unintended consequences
On the Youghiogheny River in PA for decades many raft companies stopped at Lunch Rock on river left. Customers were instructed to throw their apple cores as far up the bank as they were able.

When raft trips started on the Yough there was a stable population of rodents (chipmunks) and snakes (copperheads). When the food source improved (apple cores) there was an explosion of chipmunks, so great that the snakes could not consume enough to keep the rodent population in balance. Over years though the snake population increased to balance things out.

But the introduction of a seemingly endless food source, high in carbs and vitamins caused the chipmunks to grow in size and stature over a number of generations. Being rodents, they multiplied like…rodents, finally growing to a size where the copperheads were unable to swallow them whole. And some of the chipmunks grew to such a size that they were behaved like mongooses, aactively hunting the snakes and killing them with their (now) large incisors. Some even became carnivores, their offspring growing even larger due to the introduction of protein into their diets.

To this day the ecosystem is still not stable. In the 80s raft companies stopped throwing apple cores and now haul them out with the trash. But the damage was done. First, customers complained about the fact that everywhere they walked they were seeing, and sometimes stepping on tubular reptiles. Then some of the larger, more aggressive chipmunks started raiding the lunch lines, carrying off apples, bologna sandwiches and once even a whole jar of industrial peanut butter.

The problems with Lunch Rock, with the simple catalyst of discarded apple cores, finally caused the raft companies to abandon the site. Populations of snakes and chipmunks initially crashed but are now returning to normal, and the body masses of the rodents and snakes are shrinking towards the norm.

But even generations later, with no additional apple cores as food, there is an in-bred memory of the event. To this day you can see groups of confused-looking chipmunks staring at rafters as they pass by Lunch Rock on their way to the new site, downstream and on river right. They may have never tasted an apple, but their memories do not fade.

Jim

I can see that on heavily traveled

– Last Updated: May-14-10 10:40 AM EST –

waterways.If the chipmunks grew larger, why didn't the snakes grow larger also?

Those chipmonks are famous
and they are dangerous, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sswOQDYbE88

The snakes did grow larger
but since they do not breed as prolificly as do rodents the evolutional advantages of larger size did not show up as quickly.

Jim

What to do with the stem?
My problem would have been what to do with the stem. A college roommate taught me to eat the apple completely. So the the only thing remaining is the stem. I usually throw that out the car window.

Apple core disposal…
Stick it in your pocket.

Take it home with you.

Throw it out in your front yard.

Do the same thing with your orange peels, corn husks/cobs, banana peels, watermellon, and canteloupe rinds, etc.

It’s natural; it’ll rot away, and a big pile of it will look good on your lawn. It will smell natural too. The critters,flys, and worms will help dispose of it. You won’t mind the citters or bugs that much. Better yet; leave it on your front doorstep; anyone who visits you can enjoy it too.

BOB

I have a composter at home just for
that.Not nearly as big as Sparkleberry though.

I woulda done the same as for poop & pee

– Last Updated: May-16-10 12:04 PM EST –

Put it in an old Jiff peanut butter jar and bury it 6 inches in the sand.

If someone finds it in a couple months, it'll be like a little apple tree terrarium.

Really?
Just toss it next to the beer cans and butts.

Jiff?
I had you down as somewhere betwixt Peter Pan and a Skippy guy, cD1.

That’s ok, though, fer no more frightnin’ a scenario befalls one then:

Buried cans of Spam

once on the lam

rise to path behind FatElmo,

givin’ rise to thought

how suspect meat is wrought

in give-n-take forever at the go!

And in Charlie Daniels’

fiddled (Is it anal or annals?)

Georgia recieved her Beelzebub.

Was it the kayaker there

in cotton-contempt underwear

whose Beanie-Weenies presented the last rub?

Recyclin’ the great questions (over-n-over, again),

TW

i just bring bananas
and smoke the peels

eat it
I eat them.

Turtle

I eat them too
except for the stem.

The stem
You can use the stem to pick the seeds out of your teeth.

me also
One less thing to pack out.