Which boat for 20-30 mile day trips?

933978_581097868633940_1376085662_n
been caught on a few logs myself even with rocker

3 Likes

Hard to predict which threads will attract a wide conversation, but this one sure has. Good people, good info.

2 Likes

I can tell it’s a whitewater boat. Either a crossover or creeker you added cord to, but I can’t quite make out the model. Looks like you were having a good time though

my old LL xp10 crossover, messing around in the headwaters of the meadow river in wv

1 Like

For me, not so much - I really prefer a downstream run.

Call me lazy.

1 Like

Yep, that little bit of stern in the water is still providing some secondary stability, thus the smile and photo op. Now if it was kevburg hung up in current in his 18X I’m thinking he’d have a Mr Bill face and prioritize self preservation over photo ops.

82a4e15738ef4cd63a3316ec83ff8c04--saturday-night-live-bill-obrien

3 Likes

There’s a pic of raisins’ boat in the “stunning 31 pound kayak” thread. I’m not sure what it is.

You might also glance at alish’s links towards the end of the “correlation of hull length and speed” thread. One link shows a 15.5 foot kayak (Storm SLT) to be the most efficient at all speeds and the other link shows that the ideal surf ski length depends on paddler weight.

1 Like

I believe that’s a Petrel Play built by Turning Point if I recall correctly.

Makes sense. For any hull, paddling efficiency is related to displacement, and displacement in a given boat is determined by paddler weight. For a narrow surf ski, a modest increase in paddler weight will result in a relatively large increase in displacement unless compensated by extra length.

1 Like

Looks like there is a lot of info (advice) here that is going in circles. So I’ll add a suggestion in a different direction, KAYAK SAILING!
I thought it was a crazy idea when I first heard about it. Now I’m hooked. I’ll just suggest going to Falcon Sails (falcon sails.com) and check it out. You can add a Falcon Sail to virtually any traditional kayak (I have one on a Jackson Rogue 10).
Think Outside the Box!!

I would like to add the P&H Virgo to that list. And I agree with Willow on the Venture Easky if you can find one. But look for the LV, I’m a little bigger than you and the MV Easky was too big for me. I don’t know what rivers are like in Texas, but even for class II in North Carolina, I stick with RM. I know Eddyline says their Carbonlite is ok for class II but I have seen two cracked Sitkas on the French Broad (lots of rocks).

1 Like

Plastic has a place.

3 Likes

Get the Stratos. Easier on rivers than the longer Tempest.

Regards
Chuck
Utah

1 Like

This turned into a fun long conversation last year. I thought I’d give y’all an update. I finally stopped daydreaming about an upgrade and pulled the trigger. I went with a classic, NDK Explorer, that was offered up for sale here locally. Looking forward to putting in some miles with this boat and refining my skills.

9 Likes

Enjoy your Explorer. It will take you as far as you want to go.

2 Likes

People set up alerts also. Yesterday we listed our RoofTopTent and had ten emails the first hour.

The specs on that boat are something like 17’6" length, 21" beam with a waterline length/width of 9.56, putting it in the fast sea kayak category.