Which drysuit material most breathable?

tropos vs T3
Tropos doesn’t compare to the T3. The T3 is a 3 layer product and it breathes much better than Tropos. Somewhere along this thread someone mentioned that the T3 now has lifetime warranty just like Gore-Tex. That is true. The Tropos does not, it carries a 2 year limited warranty.

Of course, Gore-Tex breathes better than T3 does and it is more durable.

Suz

Hey…
…you’re another Cleveland area kayaker. I’m down in Stow and make it up to Rocky River once in a while. Always looking for wave action that’s not too overwhelming, for example I wasn’t too inclined to try out the recent 16 footers:)

Agree
I have two older Tropos garments, T3 paddle pants and Goretex dry suit, also an older Goretex dry top made by Stohlquist. I also have an Immersion Research semi-dry Session top, from when those jackets were still made of IR’s answer to GoreTex.

Susan’s sequence in terms of both breathability and durabilty of a relatively newer GoreTex, T3 and Tropos garment is right on with my own experience.

I can also say that some of the older GoreTex does not breathe as well as the newer stuff - like from 2003 or 2004. It does wear very hard though. I get good use out of those garments on cold winter days when we are doing a fairly limited, not fast paddle because we’ll run out of open water trying to go more than two miles in any direction. Less breathability is a good thing there.

The old top I have from IR, whatever stuff they used, is astonishing in terms of durability. It’s probably only 2 layer and all, but I have abused that thing like crazy and, aside from some stretch showing on the neoprene neck, it still looks new.

Dry
My Kokotat goretex drysuit with booties and latex neck gasket is so comfortable I wear it pretty much all year. The key is getting all the air out, I submerge up to my neck and let the air out the neck gasket. That lets the goretex do its thing, release the heat and vapor. I vary how much I wear underneath based on water and air temp. Gore just gave me a brand new suit for a warranty issue.

They call T3 “Tropos T3” so
What’s the real difference? Is T3 somehow thicker or more water resistant or more breathable than ordinary Tropos?

Tropos 3 is 3 layer

– Last Updated: Oct-18-11 9:30 PM EST –

and breathes better as well as seems to be a bit more durable. Original Tropos is 2 layer. Neither is thick in the sense of wetsuits - it is fabric and membrane.

BOTH are waterproof, considerably better than water resistant.

Neck
Yes, on the neoprene neck I’d have to caution you that there will probably be some leakage. I bought a Palm last year and although I was very careful not to overstretch the neoprene neck I thought the amount of leakage I noticed would be unacceptable in cold weather. I am now planning to try to retrofit a latex gasket onto the neck.

Vapor NOT sweat liquid

– Last Updated: Oct-19-11 12:04 AM EST –

People need to understand "how" breathable fabrics work
-- http://www.velocitypress.com/Goretex.shtml
Written back in 1984, it has some validity.

If it keeps water liquid out then how does
the sweat liquid from the inside get thru....hmmmm

It's all about the vapor molecules, not large droplets

http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/breathability.pdf

I've had my OS Systems drysuit for many years now,
kayaking in Michigan waters most months.
http://www.ossystems.com/surface/SPIRIT.pdf

well, yes

– Last Updated: Oct-19-11 7:57 AM EST –

And, we do meet on the water once in a while :)

Marius

I just finalized a list of pool session dates for keelhaulers - a good reason for you to get a river kayak ;)

Kokatat service
Plus, with a Kokatat goretex suit you get great service. I am being sent a new suit, after developing a leak.

So that’s yer handle…
…I’m headed down to Tybee Island next week. It will be my first time on and in the ocean. Want to go?

OS Systems
OS SYSTEMS makes drysuits for diving since 1983

Divers need to rely on drysuits NOT failing, it’s their life at stake.

I’ll put an OS systems drysuit up against any competitor.

http://www.canoekayak.com/canoe/drysuitsgearreview/

Check out which manufacturers they reviewed

Event cycling jacket
by Showers Pass, noticably more breathable than goretex. A lot is the design as well as the fabric. No idea how it would hold up as a dry suit. I’ve used it in 60degree temps without overheating.

not in October
I am heading there a week before Thanksgiving.

stohlquist
Im very pleased with the gpod and eclipse fabric. Also have the pants for over three years with same fabric. Also have gortex kokatat splash top and all are highly breathable. I can feel the wind through the stohlquist eclipse fabric. Im comfortable below 75 then above that they all feel a little warm but breath well. And i would roll to cool off. Sthalquest has a great product with lifetime warrinty. No regrets at all.