Which is Most Reflective Tape?

agreed
hey and we are a community especially with those whose livelihood depends on us not getting in their way.

tape
-what Randy said.

There needs to be a light pointed at the tape within a certain angle for it to light up. The paddle blade is constantly moving, so if someone’s headed at you they’ll see it at some point in your stroke. I use it on both sides of the paddle, as well as the ends of my kayak (and it’s on my PFD).

It’s always there, and may be reflected by the sun, too. Can’t hurt.

Assuming…
… the person “headed at you” is shining a light forward.

yes
Yes, but again it can’t hurt. It also doesn’t cost much, require maintenance or batteries. I don’t see any reason not to use it, but it shouldn’t be the only thing you’re staking your life on, either.

I’ve used the 2" wide tape and the 4"x4"
patches, the patches are a bit thicker. I’ve had bike reflector tape on a kayak fade faster than SOlAS. The best test was camping on a beach with my kayak about 200’ away with no moon out. I shined a small 4AAA LED flashlight at my kayak and the two ends of the paddle shaft where the 4" patch was wrapped around lit up like a neon light, the older bike tape was very dim. Thereafter four 4"x4" patches became a standard on the kayaks,one on deck of bow/stern and one on either side near coaming. On a light grey deck it blends in and at night it’s VERY reflective.

Requirement 80 % of the Helmet w/Tape
FYI, With some 6000 hours in Naval aircraft (S-3’s, P-3’s and Helo’s) all backed by aviation and physiology training every four years I consider myself an amateur with regards to kayaking, but an update chap on water survival. (Last class I attended was in mid October '05. I.e. still current in the P-3.) That said, the Navy requires aviation helmets to be covered by at least 80% white reflective tape (ACR). This requirement came about based on the number of night rescues where the reflective covered helmet was the sole aid to the rescue aircraft or boat to recover a down aviator. Granted sea kayakers rarely wear helmets, reflective tape on a cap works just as well.

That said, a battery power flashlight goes without saying, should always be accessible/in use.

One last bead on the reflective tape discussion, visibility during the day is also a great aid to boaters when sun light illuminates reflective tape placed on a paddle blade tip, PFD, or hat. At night, as a previous email noted, low levels of light do support reflective tape over nothing. The combination with a light on defines the silhouette of a kayak.

Cheers, Mark

Falcon, Yellow over white with reflective tape

Very productive posts
Thanks, each person’s experiences from different perspective really make quite big picture, for me at least.

that’s the stuff
I cut the 2" stuff lengthwise and routed in all along the underside of the sheer on a wood boat with a slight rub rail,it STOOD OUT,

My preference is the 4" patches because it seems to be more durable but don’t get it from WestMarine because they charge nearly $16/package for it.

http://www.landfallnavigation.com/-spfdt.html

here’s some 2" x 25’ for less than $25
http://www.awdirect.com/awdirect/catalog.cfm?dest=itempg&itemid=15170&secid=72&linkon=subsection&linkid=76

will check it out
SOLAS tape is wildly expensive imo, and will check this source out, thanks. If may be as good as SOLAS adhesvie which in my experience is one of the few that stays on in repeated salt water ventures.

Evan

I haven’t bought from that link
but it’s the same 3M product for too much at the local marine hardware,ferget the 4"x4" patches from West Marine,$16 package of four

Solas tape
One of the local marine supply stores (West) had Solas tape in a blister pack for a horrible price, and off a bulk roll for about $2.00/ft.

Doesn’t make much sense but guess what I bought about 2 years ago.

Frank

Drop a paddle paddling with friends
and losing one, finding where a friend has taken out. finging a dropped paddle, illiminating a signalling paddle for an exciting nightime surf landing, and to give the CG an edge if you mess up. All good to me

Tape

– Last Updated: Nov-19-05 7:48 AM EST –

I've got some of this "high-intensity" tape, and it is very bright -- a bit brighter than the SOLAS. I haven't used it enough to know about the long-term durability. I've had some on a canoe for a year now with no problems but it's right below the gunwale where it rarely gets wet.

http://www.identi-tape.com/hi-intensity.htm

For marine use you can't go wrong with the SOLAS tape.

http://www.identi-tape.com/solas.html

I've had some on my paddle blades for years with no adhesive failure, and it's plenty bright. The only problem I've had is that it's not very resistant to mechanical damage, so don't put it where it'll get whacked.

Rounding off corners will help keep tape from peeling.

I put reflective tape on a lot of my outdoor gear -- it makes it much easier to find at night.

thanks, question
thanks Angstrom!

Do you find the hi-intensity stuff to have a narrower angle of reflectivity, as some say here?

Evan

Identi-Tape
That was the guy I bought my stuff from - red and white 1" wide. It’s held up very well for the two years or so I’ve used it. Can’t answer about a comparison, this is the only one I’ve used.

from the lab…

– Last Updated: Nov-19-05 9:44 PM EST –

Not knowing the answer to the angle question, I decided that a quick(crude) test was in order. I grabbed one of my paddles that had a patch of SOLAS tape and put an equal-sized piece of the Reflexite tape next to it. I set it up in the yard, backed off, and looked at it with a headlamp(princeton tec yukon HL, high/narrow beam).

My completely subjective results:

1) The Reflexite is slightly brighter than the SOLAS when viewed head-on(perpendicular to the taped surface)

2) As I moved off-axis, the Reflexite dimmed faster than the SOLAS. At an angle of more than approximately 45 degrees the SOLAS tape appeared slightly brighter.

3) There was no significant change when I wet the paddle and the tape surface.

4) There was a dramatic drop in brightness when I removed the headlamp and held it at arm's length while pointing it at the paddle. Moving the axis of the light away from the axis of the eye is a problem with any retroreflective material. The SOLAS tape appeard a bit brighter then the Reflexite in this test.

I concluded that the Reflexite is a bit more directional than the SOLAS, but it's not a huge difference.

On another note, reflective-tape addicts might want to check out Glo-Flex, a material that's highly reflective and also glows in the dark when there's no light source. It's becoming popular on fire & EMS gear. The glow certainly isn't bright enough to alert a powerboat, but it does make it easier to find the flashlight you just dropped under the car...

I have no experience (yet) using it on paddling gear.

12 Step goup announced Tape Freaks
Announcing the new 12 step group for Tape Addicts,

The first step of course is admitting you are

STUCK!!!

disapointing experience
I paddle two nights a week in a racing kayak after work. Daylight savings has me paddling at night. Had a light that I used about two years a go but have gotten complacent and not used it in a long time.

Read this thread and I got excited about this SOLAS tape and went to boat shop. Bought pakage of 4 4x4 and 12 2x4 stickers. There was no price tag on either. Rung up $44.00 These must be some pretty special stickers anyway it’s my fault and they told me to return a package if I did not use it but can’t skimp on safety.

Put 4x4 on front back of both paddle blades and went out tuesday full moon my neighboor was out fishing in his powerboat. I thought cool I can get feedback on my new fancy stickers, I will be so bright I will blind them (full moon and a light off of a dock was shining on me).

Finally caught up with him today to get feedback. Hey did you see me the other night? Him: No not until you were right up on me. Me :frowning:

Anyway I am not knocking the tape and I do think everyone should put reflective stuff on their paddles but it doesn’t work as well as you might think.

eugene

Retroreflective
That’s the downside of retroreflective material – it only reflects light back to the source.