Who controls the back ferry angle?

more complications…
We often have a tendency to reduce the more complex canoe maneuvers to a single cookbook recipe, but I submit that this case is a bit too complicated. I prefer to take different approaches to swiftwater backferries depending on several variables. Among those are the hull design, the strength, ability, and experience of the paddlers, position on the river, paddling sides, and velocity of current. Consider for instance a highly rockered canoe facing downstream in an eddy on river left; two good, experienced paddlers need to backferry over to river right in a strong current. The Stern paddler is paddling on the right and the Bow on the left. They should set an angle to crash the eddyline and execute reverse strokes to do so. After crossing the eddyline the stern paddler should use uncorrected reverse strokes which will turn the stern stem into the current and counteract the force of the current trying to push the stern stem downstream. At this point the stern paddler will be supplying the power while the Bow paddler maintains the proper angle. The Bow paddler should rotate enough to see the canoe, but additionally an experienced paddler will feel the hull and adjust with ruddering strokes so as to keep the proper angle. This “feel” comes with experience. In the opposite situation with the canoe on river right, they should set an angle in the eddy, use reverse strokes to crash the line. Then the Stern paddler should maintain the angle with a static high brace stern draw, active stern draw, or even a reverse J depending on current strength. The Bow paddler should supply power with uncorrected reverse strokes. Of course in a perfect world the paddlers would be ambidextrous and both paddle on the right to backferry to river right and on the left for river left.

Pag

I find the opposite true
have the stern direct the bow to set the initial angle- much easier for the downstream paddler to do so

stern could make slight adjusts the bow can’t see

a good bow paddler understand how their strokes affect both ends of the boat but communication is key

always easier to “set the angle” from the downstream end of the boat- I disagree with the author’s approach but in the end do whatever works for you.

in my perfect world you would never
paddle on the same side of the boat- that would be a cardinal sin and prevent you from entering open boater heaven.

too late for me…

– Last Updated: Jul-13-14 3:04 AM EST –

One time, I accidently loaded my canoe on my rack with the stern pointed toward the front. At that point the River Gods damned me to open boater hell. Oh well, I was probably headed that way anyhow.

Pag

My feeling on this

– Last Updated: Jul-13-14 6:36 PM EST –

is that two people who paddle regularly together work out a system that works and it usually involves both bow and stern communicating a lot and adjusting a lot. No hard and fast rule.

Also, there are many good stern paddlers, not so many good bow paddlers. A really good bow paddler has spent a fair amount of time paddling stern and understands where the stern is and how far you need to go to clear an obstacle with the stern. You will not find the stern striking obstacles if you have a good team - including a really good bow paddler.

Back paddling in strong current is very effective at times but it is disorienting and you do need to practice with you partner to keep things under control.

Maybe there is a paddler's purgatory where you can go if you have had occasional lapses? I hope so. :-)