who makes the best sprayskirt

Aquatherm
I’m referring to the Aquatherm. It does not look or feel impressive in the shop but actually using it several days in a row impressed me.

Long term durability is a question I have no experience of as I have only used it for one year. (No signs of failure yet.) If I have to choose using a single spray skirt one year dry and comfortable or five years wet and uncomfortable I choose the first alternative.

Unfortunately, the best tough neoprene spray skirt I have used is no longer in production. It was made by Artistic, tight as a drum, no leaks, struggle to get on but easy to get off. It had a rubberized coating on the inside where it met the cockpit rim and rubberized dots on the outside where you grab it for stretching it over the rim. Later they changed the design, leaving out the rubberized coating and dots, making slightly larger, causing the same problems that Snapdragon has.

Another SnapDragon repeat customer
I’ve had 4 of them, on different sea kayaks. The Glacier Trek is my favorite since the tube can be Velcro’ed very loosely for hot weather or snugly for rolling or less-hot weather.

The all-neo WW skirt for my Jackson Sidekick is also a SnapDragon. The tube fit on that one is tighter than I would like, but then again it’s the model intended for children. Probably not meant for those with waists over 24". I need to find another skirt for that boat…

which is most watertight
Thanks for all of the responses,

I’m suprised to hear that the snapdragons are not watertight. Watertight is what I’m looking for. Recently did some rescue training and my NRS deck let water in when I submerged the cockpit rim.

I’m used to the Palm I use on my Nordkapp (Ocean cockpit). Not only is it water tight, it’s airtight as well. When I use the built in pump the spray skirt actually gets sucked down into the cockpit. I have to pull it up on one side to let air back in. Don’t know if it will be possible to get a seal that tight on a plastic boat (it’s a Necky Elaho standard).

I enjoy my Seals
I’m just a weekender but I bought a Seals from Austin Kayak and I’m well pleased with the purchase.

Reed Aquatherm Spray Deck
The Reed Aquatherm is not one of my favorites, but then I paddle in cold or cooler waters. Yes, it is a lighter skirt compared to Neo, but Neo is warmer and I really don’t care if a skirt dries rapidly. Heck you are just going to get them wet again the next day :wink:

As you suggest they are not terribly durable if you are doing repeated assisted rescues. Pulling a ‘victims’ boat over your’s will cut them up a bit. Then can be repaired with Aquaseal, but then I have beat the snot of of Neo skirts to no visible determent.

The Reed does make for a nice ‘spare’ skirt if you carry one (minimal weigh and spare taken).

Don’t like reinforced rim
Most of the spray skirt manufacturers have several models and I accidently once ordered one with the reinforced rim where the neoprene has the thick coating of some type of rubber around the bungee area. I hated it and it just made getting the spray skirt on difficult. It reduced the flexibility. Also watch your sizes. I had a Snap Dragon marked XL tunnel and I could just about get it on and I take 34 W pants.

I think if I was to buy, knowing what I know now, I would get a neoprene skirt, no extra reinforcement rubber type - just the simple sewn on bungee, but would like a Nylon tunnel with a wide velcro to tighten it up as needed.

BTW. my favorite was Rapidstyle simple neo skirt. Nice flexibility and the sizes made sense.

Different gear for different use
When i paddle in cold waters (as cold as it gets before freezing) I dress according to the water temperature (drysuit) and I prefer a spray skirt that isn’t too warm. (OTOH, it makes no big difference if the spray skirt is slightly leaking or not when I’m in my drysuit.)

When touring in warmer waters (but not “tropical”) I don’t need a warm skirt but I like to keep dry and absolutely hate to start the day with wet clothes. Wet neo is cold and unpleasant to slip into. I like my spray skirt dry on the inside and prefer keeping my clothes and cockpit dry at all times.

I really don’t like doing rescue drills with my full carbon/kevlar dualcolor&flake painted kayak anyways (of course I’ll do it in a real situation and I do believe the Reed will take such a beating with only minor field-repairable damage). I prefer a polyethylene kayak and neo skirt for such training activities.

I like solution
I have mostly used Solution decks for the last ten years with good results. Their Slider deck is excellent for serious whitewater. http://www.solutiongear.com.au/showproduct.php?CatID=SpraySkirts

3 Snapdragons
two of them custom tuned (deck and tunnel) for me by Rich and the great guys in the shop.

They even gave me a Supratex skirt gratis (it was a surprise coming in the box w. my original one) when it took two tries to finetune the first one (and it was at least as much my fault as anything). Plus, they returned the check I’d sent for labor and shipping.

Can’t beat that for customer service.

They went waaaaaaaaaaaay above the call. And turned the work around fast, too.

Satisfied Snapdragon customer for life :smiley:

Mountain Surf Duro Ring is w/o a
doubt the best of the best. If you are putting it over a rotomold rim I wouldn’t bother with anyone elses, as they are not as dry. I can surf my play boat all day on a river and the only water that gets in came in with the shoes. The rubber rand is the key, along with the cut of the deck. A small thing, but the grab loop isn’t a flat piece sewn into a loop. Surgical tubing encases an actual handhold. I never see a Mountain Surf grab loop modified with a biner, plastic golf ball, duct tape, etc. It is unusual not to see a Snap Dragon’s grab loop with any manner of retrofitted ideas attached to the grab loop.

Dogmaticus

1.7 xl?
I’d be interested

Here’s what I would buy
http://www.harmonygear.com/product/203815/APPROACH_10_SKT/_/Approach%20Sprayskirt

I like the nylon tunnel with velcro because at times I paddle with a T-shirt and at times a drysuit with a lot of layers.

Seals - bungee or randed?
I’m looking to stay as dry as possible in my Avocet RM - especially when edging hard and having the water come over the coaming, in waves, etc - not just in relaxed paddling. My current Snapdragon is extremely well made but the boat lets in some water from under the sewn-in bungee. So… I’m paying attention to this thread.

I’m looking a the Seals WW skirts (online that is) and wondering what are the tradeoffs between the corded (bungee) and randed spray skirts? Can anyone offer some explanations? I’ll contact the company but I’m hoping for some user experience

Thanks

Avi