Who makes the toughest kevlar canoe?

Clipper Canoe
I have no idea which canoe manufacturer produces the toughest layup. I do have a Clipper solitude (solo) that is S-glass on the outside and Kevlar inside (no gel-coat). It is not the lightest at about 44 lbs though this layup is their ultra-light. However I have now had it for 5 years and unintentionally subjected it to some rough contact with rocks, gravel and trees. I have been somewhat amazed that to this point all I have is scratches in the S-glass and the canoe seems solid as new. This past week I was fishing in a boulder field when power boats went by too close, too fast and the waves they produced gave me a real bashing into the rocks. Some more scratches but again not through the S-glass. I suffered more than the canoe as I got the fish hook stuck in my finger as I was hanging on for dear life.

Jim

If Kruger canoes

– Last Updated: Sep-17-07 11:36 PM EST –

offered a lighter weight decked canoe I would buy one but 62lbs! OUCH! Overkill for those that are not doing Verlen style expeditions and would like a nice coastal decked touring canoe.

Interesting thread
Thanks to all who have been chipping in on this thread. Very informative to read all your thoughts on canoe construction/use.

Nova craft
I have a Supernova in Kevlar/glass (CP Cap). I have pretty much drug her over rocks since I purchase her. Sure she is scratched up but the boat has taken it like a champ.

I am going to coat the bottom next spring with epoxy/graphite to fill in the gouges. It will be as good as new…

brilliant post
great description of the construction process, charlie. krugers are tough as hell, much tougher – and heavier – than i need or want. but if i were paddling from florida to cuba, i’d want to be in a kruger. however, i’m not doing that.

I could go on
about folks buying expensive 4X4 SUV’s and never taking 'em off the pavement. They just liking the feeling of a burly vehicle under them and knowing that it could take them wherever they wanted to go if they wanted… But I won’t. Comfort on a 100 miler is also comfort on a trip around the pond. Peace.

response to weight and distance
Ive always found the response to a boats weight odd. A gallon of drinking water weighs 8 lbs. A 60lb Kruger weighs the same as a 25 lb boat with 35 lbs of gear in it. Plus in the water its not the same as dry-land weight. I only weigh about 8 pounds in water. Bring less gear or get it better shape are two more options.

As far as paddling distances. I use my Kruger for many occasional 2 mile paddle trips. If im driving my vehicle to Terra del Fuago from Toronto, I dont have to do it in a Toyota Landcruser do I? Thats the beauty of the boat! Any boat! Just because someone uses it to go 28,000 miles doesnt mean you have to. Dont limit you beliefs about its use. Hell Hans L. crossed the Atlantic Ocean in 57 in an african dugout canoe, doesnt mean i cant use the same log to build a bigger fire.

Full Circle

After reading all of your helpful threads, and speaking to several canoe companies (Hemlock and Nova Craft) and seeking their advice, I starting to feel like I need to give up my quest to find a composite canoe that will fit my needs. So I looks like I now need to decide between a NC Bob Special or Pal in Royalex.

Thanks again for all of the outstanding advice.

bells blackgold ???
i just read this thread and well found it odd nobody mentioned it as bein a tough comp hull???

is it not??? or was it just not brought up in the discussion???

any additional comments on blackgold as its what i was planning on next year

thank you

smtara

It is a tough hull for a boat made to be
light for portaging. Bell does not make composite hulls for whitewater, but if they did, they might replace some of that carbon with S-glass.