Who'd use Drip Rings for a GP

A smaller number of users…
…but a higher percentage might use drip rings, as they actually work on an Aleut paddle. In fact, many Aleut designs incorporated ridges and/or bumps on the loom that functioned as drip rings.

Aleuts had a much different approach to paddling that the Inuit, as they often didn’t roll, paddled higher volume boats and made every effort to stay dry and out of the water. In that regard, they’re much like modern paddlers that espouse the Derek Hutchinson philosophy that “paddling is a dry sport” vs. Greenland style paddlers who believe that “paddling is a wet sport”.

You are talking different paddles
Tons of variety, and all that exsits - but drip rings would not work on my Aleuts any better than on a GP - worse actually. No problem though - as they’re needed even less.

Remove drip rings from spoon paddle
That’s what I do. Kayaking is a water sport – I figure to get wet, and hands are the least of it. And, a drip ring can really get in the way when putting a paddle under a bungee.

So, the thought of putting drip rings on my GP is really out.

But… I don’t paddle in winter, so I can’t speak for the trade-off the water and/or air are really cold.

–David.

For winter only

– Last Updated: Feb-17-09 7:36 AM EST –

I use the bungee drip rings in the winter just to keep the ice cold water from constantly bathing my fingers.

1 Like

thank you
I do the same thing, my hands or mitts are in the water with my euro paddle. Sure makes them easier to slide under a bungee.

Low Stroke isn’t Wet
I paddle with a very low stroke and don’t get much drip at all from my GP. I normally use a touring skirt so any dripping is limited to getting my hands wet which is not a big deal. I would tend to avoid a GP with any type of obstruction on the paddle because sliding strokes of various types are one of the benefits of this paddle design.

Dave