Why do I need a paddle float?

I Dunno…

– Last Updated: May-12-05 4:43 AM EST –

think you're stereotyping a tad bit here. Most of the "Greenland style" paddlers I know are paddling SOF and using paddles, floats, etc. that they made on their own. Some certainly have bought the Seals "float bladder" for practice and others are using DIY heat sealable nylon ones. Others are using milk bottles as suggested in Chris Cunningham's book.

For sure, I know the DIY heat nylon sealable bladders and milk bottles are a heck lot cheaper than a manufactured paddle float.

Maybe more true if you had said, "The couple folks I have personally met in Betsie Bays wouldn't be caught dead trying to roll up with a paddlefloat." :)

sing

It also works as an emergency back band
I typically carry one, but don’t get overly worked up if I happen to forget it.

2 reasons
have one so while paddling with someone else in the event of some whacky emergency you’ll have it, you never know what gear you’ll need to do something whacky, remember apollo 13?

2nd reason

re-enter and roll with a paddle float is a great 2nd backup in case of total failure, say you blow out a shoulder/arm and have to swim from a failure to roll, but might be able to get back in and be towed, you can re-enter and use the paddle float as additional flotation on any paddle, even a traditional paddle

these are outrageous scenarios but it is another arrow in the quiver when all thing go wrong.

Well…

– Last Updated: May-12-05 8:51 PM EST –

"Outrageous" is a pretty good description...

1. I rarely paddle with anyone in a touring boat these days. But, I do carry it when I do go out with someone.

2. I have not even come close to straining my shoulder in some pretty big surf days. I am pretty conscious of where my shoulders/arms are in bracing and rolling. When I tour, I don't put myself in any breaking waves that would be of any size close to what I would surf. I just don't see it happening. In fact, I know that wouldn't happen (judgement and all).

Having said that, sure, I agree folks should take along whatever they feel they need to backup up their backups, if that is what it takes to put them at ease. Personally, it's all that gear that has really turned me off to touring this past year. When I go out for a day paddle, I want go light with my SOF. Probably another reason I don't care to go out with folks 'cause to be "responsible" I have to to carry another 10 pounds of gear "just in case..." That dreaded thermos weighs increasingly heavy on my mind. ;)

sing

Hey I resemble that remark!
I have a Betsie Bay! Granted it’s a fiberglass Betsie Bay that is 10 years old and that I bought used for a good price… but it’s still a Betsie Bay! As the unofficial spokesman for the non-traditional traditional paddlers, please do not judge us by pretty boats! I would gladly roll up with a dead carp if it would mean I get to breathe.

well
the thermos when empty has some flotation too!

I was trying to offer some advice based on what reasons I could think of, they sound pretty weak don’t they!

I admit my paddle float is stuffed in my day hatch most of the time, unless I am giving lessons.

I think bobdobbs
might be referring to the michigan phenonemon of Betsie Bay Greenland paddlers,

within the confines of our beloved peninsula are some folks with funny ideas about paddling 3500 kayaks only on calm water.

absolutely -
the only thing worse than a betsie bay paddler are those who paddle QCC’s with a greenland paddle!

LOL!
Some PFD manufacturer need to design a product with extra large pockets that will hold 2-3 thermos. If you find yourself swimming and floating low, empty a couple for extra floatation and save the last one for when you get onto shore. :slight_smile:

sing

Here’s An Idea
I had when thinking about how easy it was to roll back up with a paddle float only at pool class. This idea would only work with a foam or inflated float. Keep it under the bungies on the front deck. If you lose your paddle, just grab the float and use it to roll back up. I haven’t tried it, but I think it would work well.

Lou

Wait a minute!
You mean that hole in the middle of the float isn’t for holding the thermos?

Back deck might work better.
Seems to be the more common location for foam floats and Avataqs.

Front Seems Easier To Me
I’m imagining that I’ve flipped over and I’m hanging there upside down. The float is right there in front of me to just grab, pull, and the float pulls me to the surface. Back deck might work also, just seems a bit harder to do.

Lou

Depends…
You want to sweep the float from front to back, or vise versa?

Seriously, once you get comfortable in the capsize, it doesn’t really matter whether you reach back, lying against the back deck, or crunch forward to reach the foredeck.

Personally, I’m used to reaching back for my spare (storm) paddle and doing a stern to bow (reverse sweep/low brace) roll. I don’t like having anything on the front deck. I can’t imagine having an inflated float on my front deck. It would get in the way if it were in a place I can reach. It would be useless if put in place I can’t reach.

sing

Cool! Is it a one piece?
Or do you assemble it under water?

Lou

I was thinking…
…you spend a lot more time right side up (I hope!) and a float would be very annoying up front while paddling.

If reaching back and getting the flat seems like it would be too hard or slow underwater - I think you need to start extending how long you stay under before wet exiting. You have all the time on the World when practicing on full lungs. Real World - maybe a little less. Playing with the float in various positions - and attached different ways (not just under bungees, maybe clipped on) may be just the distraction you need to focus on something other that getting to the surface for a few seconds.

I use a storm as a spare too - one piece (naturally) and being shorter is super for rolling (may seem counterintuitive to some - but start capsizing in random ways and the shorter paddle is much easier to get where you want it). I keep mine up front - but it lays low and does not seem in the way at all. Up front - it’s pretty much already in setup position. It’s so easy to maneuver underwater that it really wouldn’t matter where it was once inverted. I don’t have a reverse sweep yet, but it would take only 1/2 second to slide it forward.

If you start to run out of breath
you could sneak a quick one from your inflatable float (if you can manage to open the valve with your tongue).

By George I think I’ve just invented another rescue technique!

I would like it to be called the “Krousmon paddle float sneak-a-breath manuever”.

Dislocated shoulder = big time pain

– Last Updated: May-14-05 7:55 AM EST –

I would not make the assumption I could do any roll with one unless I had been there.

I have tied a tourniquet around my leg (on a city street, hospital care was about 15 minutes away) while looking at my tibia, (a very clean and deep cut) but from what I understand the pain I experienced then was nothing compared to a dislocated shoulder. When in serious pain while still, and moving is unimaginably excrutiating, life is different.

Yes a shoulder doslocation is a low probability but the float is a light weight.

It's your kit; it's your life; it's your decision. I'll stick with mine and not really worry about what you do. When I paddle with Sing I'll just lend him my tow belt if he needs to tow me home ;-).