Why get a kayak roof rack?

Slush puppy always has a sarcastic
remark and never any thing constructive.

Guy

With a Thulke, Yakama, Malone or
other high end racks you can mix and match.

For instance I have Yakama and I have J cradles, saddles, Hully rollers, gunnel brackets, ski racks, and bike racks.

Itā€™s kind of difficult to put those on a factory roof rack, but I can take them on and off in a few minutes and carry kayaks, canoes, skis, and bikes.

Guy

Slushpaddler has often contributed
useful input to discussions. Youā€™re too new to know that.

Heā€™s definitely contributed plenty of sarcasm, as well. Heā€™s not alone in that respect.

BIG pool noodle
With my setup, I use the deck down/hull up method and use the bigger 3" pool noodles. These work better than any Yakama or Thule pads and NEVER have had a creased/dented side no matter how tight the strap. Check out the big box stores this time of year to get them on sale in the $3-4. each range. Second kayak goes on the J cradles.

I have been lurking long before ā€¦
you ever came on P-net, and was lurking when Slushpuuppy decided that he could take over and belittle paddlers that would put him to shame.

Anyone that hides behind no profile is a shrimp in my estimation.

Guy

ā€œBiggerā€ noodles and no creases
Well, itā€™s nice that this method works for you, but I wouldnā€™t call it a one-size-fits-all method. A 3-inch diameter pool noodle isnā€™t bigger than normal; itā€™s the only size pool noodle Iā€™ve ever seen so Iā€™d say itā€™s pretty standard. Pool noodles are better than pipe insulation, but they still compress just about all that way in a short time if thereā€™s much contact pressure, so the actual contact area still ends up being barely bigger than the bar. Maybe you have a tough boat, maybe your bars line up with bulkheads, maybe you donā€™t leave your 'yaks strapped as tightly or for as long or as in such hot weather as other folks do. All I know is that Iā€™ve seen plenty of warped boats plastic where the dents line up perfectly with pool-noodle-wrapped crossbars. If the method works for you thereā€™s no reason to change anything, but thereā€™s no way one can say pool noodles provide ā€œbetterā€ padding than any of the really nice cradles that are available, especially when you start talking about longer and more-fragile boats. Itā€™s a matter of surface area, and nothing even comes close to providing as much surface area as hull-conforming pads.

Wrong guideboat

ā€“ Last Updated: Oct-30-12 1:16 AM EST ā€“

pool noodles also come in large sizes and this is the size I use:http://www.amazon.com/Big-Boss-Noodle/dp/B005ECAFMW/ref=pd_sim_sg_4

Have had 7-8 different SOT's from 12'-16' and never had a side compress, dent, or change shape and we are in hot summer weather here in Sacramento. Regarding pads..I think we are talking about 2 different pads. I'm talking about the Thule or Yakama bar pads which have a lace on one end and slide over the bar like these:http://www.rei.com/product/494126/yakima-crossbar-pads

Maybe you mean these? http://yakima.com/shop/camping/roof/mako-saddles-1pair