Why not cotton?

But this is not a problem
if you just use Scotchguard. Scotchguard will save your life.

I learned the hard way about blue jeans
and cotton clothing. I was on a trip where we were prepared for expected warm weather. It dropped from 80F to 50F in less than 2 hrs. The drop in temp was accompanied by a severe thunderstorm that drenched us. Everything that could go wrong, did. I was with a part of the group that got to high ground and pitched tents. I tried to sleep in an inch of water in a wet sleeping bag in wet jeans and cotton shirt. I became hypothermic and realized I was in bad shape. As the first light of dawn arrived, I saw a house a few blocks away. I stumbled over to their back door and two little old ladies let me in. They took my wet stuff off, bundled me in wool blankets, gave me warm cocoa and parked me in front of the woodstove. They saved my life.

I seem to have less tolerance for wet and cold than I did before this incident. I am excessively cautious because I know the danger for me. I only wear cotton when I want a cooling effect in summer heat.

If you want to save $ on synthetic clothing, hit the resale shops. I outfitted us with 2 sets of poly for each of us for under $50. I got rash guard shirts on clearance at the local dept store for $6 ea. There’s usually a good choice of wool as well.

an exception --but not for paddling
We did the Bright Angel Trail a couple of years ago and when studying doing the down and back in a day we discovered that cotton was advantageous during the DAY…we even dipped our clothes in the Colorado River before hiking back up…why? well at the river it was a cool day–only 99F, ususally its 110F…we used the evaporative cooling of the cotton to help us with the climb back up keeping us cool.

100% on the skin is warmer than cotton. In scouting, when wearing the scout uniform, if caught in a sudden downpour we would take off the shirt (though not 100 percent cotton), ball it up and put it in our pockets, then put it back on after the downpour.

Recently I got a sweet Patagoia synthetic at a Goodwill shop for $1…you would be surprised what people will ‘give’ away…the polypro Starter stuff at Wallyworld is usually around $7, so there is no excuse no to have synthetics with you, spares, and an extra for the unprepared.

In you ‘preparedness kit’ keep some jello, when liquified and heated it is remarkable for warming the core and providing quick energy, have used it once to help some ignorant scouts out of a hypothermic bind on the AT.

If you are into distance paddling and paddling in shorts remember that if you legs are touching the hull of the kayak then they are probably heat sinking, put something between your calves and the hull to slow the process—it will make a difference if paddling many many miles.

Alos, if distance paddling, and something to keep in your prepardness kit is OLIVE OIL…this stuff can be quaffed down without anything else (maybe not pleasant to some but easily doable) and provides one of the most concentrated calorie sources you can carry with you-add some to dinner at night if its to be cold and you will def. sleep warmer.

Speaking of polypro/synthetics…you are remiss if you dont also have a head piece in this stuff for many reason.

Because
Cotton hold mositure next to your body and water conducts heat away from the body 25 times faster than air.

ole cotton am for pickn’
not no wickn’