Why or why not belong to a paddle club?

yes and no
Or I should say No and Yes?

No, I’m not a member of any “formal” paddling club at this time. But,

Yes, I’m a member of one informal club, and a member of a hiking club which also does quite a bit of paddling. More importantly,

Yes, I would join a club whenever I find one that fit my need. I’m always a member of at least ONE cycling club whereever I live, except now where there’s none in my area of residence. Same reason I’m not a member of any paddling club right now: there’s none where I (actually my boat) live. But when I used to live half way between San Francisco and San Jose, I was a member of TWO paddling clubs (member of BASK & WSK)!

Benefits of clubs (in order):

1. People to paddle with (for sharing or for safety)
  2. people to learn from, or with (skill as well as route)
  3. People to shuttle or car pool with

If a club is all about rules and politics, I won’t join. But so far, I haven’t been to one that’s so bad.

Finally, the difference between a formal club vs. a mailing list group is a formal club, with dues, can (and have the fund to) arrange to rent pools, invite instructors etc.

So yes, I’m FOR clubs, even though I’m not currently a member. I miss being one.

Some folk like clubs…
and being around structured social events etc. These folk gravitate toward such.

Some people prefer loose, non-structured interactions, or being solo…

Stuff for everyone.

Bingo

i’m with your point of view salty
wanna form a club? me neither. but if somebody wants to go paddle, i’m up for it.

Clubs = people
I got into paddling as an outlet to get away from people, not as a social event. I much prefer to go on very cool self-supported trips with one or two friends I know I can count on and who will enjoy our mini expeditions for what they are. I’ve applied the same standard to biking, mountaineering, backpacking, etc. and have enjoyed these activities much more as a result. Running with the pack has never appealed to me.

The few club-type outings I’ve attended as a guest seemed to be made up of wannabe weenies who were quite obviously more interested in talking about paddling than actually doing it (a similar impression I occasionally get from reading some of the posts on this board…).

I guess I’m just a people person who can’t stand people.

clubs
too funny- i had almost totally forgotten about the club in the place where i used to live until i read the “more interested about food than paddling” line. i got myself seriously flamed and banned from all further interactions with that club by referring to them in print as the “_______ recipe trading club”. admittedly, i wasn’t diplomatic about it, but they really did seem to spend all their time talking about what they were going to eat!!

the things with clubs is that they can change over time- when i first got involved with those people, it was really informal, just a message board to meet fellow paddlers, maybe get in a few miles here and there. the safety thing they were into made me berserk also- i remember watching one guy spend over 30 minutes getting into the water (a very warm, very protected reservoir lake in the southeast, on a very warm day) putting on his wetsuit, VHF, EPIRB, you name it. I was in my boat wearing only a pair of shorts, just goggle-eyed.

our local group in MN is really informal- more of a Yahoo group than anything else. It’s called Midwest performance paddlers- we like to race, paddle hard, and talk about racing and paddling hard. dues are minimal and help to support races. it’s a good group- i encourage any exercise-oriented paddlers in the upper Midwest to check it out.

Andrew

Must be the same one
who flamed me for not wearing a you know what. They eat and flame a lot better than they paddle.

Now when do you want to race? …and we ain’t using one of those skinny kick my ass surf ski things.

Cheers Andrew, hope all is going well.

Richard

ConnYak
Is the only group I was tempted to join, but only because of its punny name.

I paddle for exercise during the week. I do it at lunch time so every minute counts. I cannot afford to take the time to coordinate with others.

While I do it for exercise I have not raced since my college days. I therefore do not need a club for setti gup races, coachng etc.

On weekends, I’m more doing the paddling equivelant of sauntering. My goal is to move along and get exercise, but it is also to meet up with brer fox, brer rabbit, and brers otter, beaver, mink and muskrat. To check out the birds, flowers, sky and the rest of creation. This does not lend itself to a group of 6 or 8 boats. It requires stealth.

The rivers in my area are actually tidal estuaries, so while sometimes it might be nice to shuttle. I generally have no need to, and when I have, I just do it with a buddy.

I have nothing against clubs, they just don’t seem to fit me.

any day, cowboy, any day
next time i’m in atlanta.

be well,

af

That’s it
You said it better than me. I was thinking it, but you put it into better terms…

“I got into paddling as an outlet to get away from people, not as a social event…Running with the pack has never appealed to me.

The few club-type outings I’ve attended as a guest seemed to be made up of wannabe weenies who were quite obviously more interested in talking about paddling than actually doing it…”

Hmmm you sound like me

– Last Updated: Oct-10-07 10:20 PM EST –

and my kinda of paddling partner. You go left... I'll go right until we meet. Don't say anything else or the sky will fall.

"Wannabe weenies" if I just posted that they'd keelhaul me for sure. but you're on the right track, I say "Do it, then talk about" but some can't handle it. Those are the whiners.

Washington Water Trails Association
Hi,

I guess you would call the Washington Water Trails Association a paddle club. If you join, $35 per person or $45 per year, they give you a book of campsites for kayaking to and other info.

I’m not totally sure then if the trips are free or if there is a fee and I think they will help you in general.

I don’t belong, but may in the future. I do believe the expensive maps are not included. I would join for other info like campsites etc.

I do enjoy the solitude when I hike or kayak, so I don’t belong to a club or wouldn’t for the purpose of joining in on trips.

If I were single, I would probably join and make friends where I could go w/one person or less of a crowd on trips planned personally.

-Capri

I’m a member of two local paddling clubs
The Georgia Canoeing Association and the Southeast Paddlers. GCA is an all around type paddling club, but mostly focuses on whitewater. SEP is a competitve sprint kayaking club. I would have never gotten into ww without GCA nor would I have ever gotten into racing without SEP. WW and sprint boat racing have one thing in common and that is that they are very specialized and require coaching and instruction. I’ve gotten both through these clubs. I’ve also found others to paddle with outside of the club and never have to paddle alone. Clubs are important outside of mere paddling. They are established organizations that not only promote the sport of paddling, but also promote river protection and access. Recently, GCA was asked to represent paddlers in the planning process of the state-wide GA Water Resources Plan. The state wouldn’t ask a yahoo group or a “bunch of folks that like to paddle together” meet up group to represent a state-wide stakeholder community. A club offers a certain amount of legitimacy that yahoo groups don’t, but then again a yahoo group offers informality. I’ve moderated yahoo groups as well and have nothing against them. I think both have their places. I’m on the board of a paddling club and moderate two yahoo groups (cycling and paddling). Plus, I have many different friends that I informally paddle with.

Whether it be by a club or by a group of friends, the most important thing is that you have fun while you paddle and that you paddle safely.

Jamie