Why we have extra gear with us

I use a $5 zipper-equipped IKEA Fracta; it holds everything except the boat and paddle, dries pretty much instantly, and is colored brightly enough so that I might not forget it. IKEA also used to sell Rensare dry bags in a large size for $6. The small $3 ones are good for phone/wallet/car keys.

The best (worst!) was when a friend forgot to bring her paddle. We each took half of mine, which made for entertaining watching, I’m sure! Paddling our kayaks like canoes, we went half as far, but enjoyed time on the water on a stunningly beautiful afternoon.

5 Likes

On a camping trip where my girlfriend and I were going to spend a day paddling in Maine, we were a couple hours from home by the time I realized I forgot to pack my watershoes. Luckily I found an older pair in my vehicle, though finding them did solve the issue of the “mystery smell” I had in there. I thought something had just crawled into it and died while it was parked for a few months.

4 Likes

Since I switched from a pick up truck to a trailer I find it convenient to keep all my camping and a lot of my paddling stuff stored in the trailer. So it turns out I have a lot of extra stuff that I carry every time I head out. This spring I had a zipper blow out on my Timberline 4 tent. I’d repaired it a number of times and that zipper was nearing the end of its useful life. Fortunately I had a Timberline 2 stashed in the trailer and was able to swap the tent out before the torrential storm hit and I had to “hole up” for a longish storm.
I always carry an extra rain poncho in the “unhappy bag” (with compass, fire starting stuff, knife, TP, first aid kit, etc.) that goes with me every time I paddle. I’ve gotten caught out on the water in storms often enough to learn there’s invariably someone in the group who needs to borrow one. Good to have an extra and it doesn’t take a lot of space. A little extra food of some sort to share/trade never hurts either.

5 Likes

Loaned out (gave away) or borrowed… Ouch ! Glad I am that the paddle community is as friendly and helpful as it is.

Hmmm Borrowed a paddle once when I had broken both of mine.
On one of the western permit rivers (100 miles ,9 days) On the final loading of the boat, I kept reaching for the food box, it was at home on the kitchen counter, 1800 miles away.
Handed out a rope to a rafter, he had nothing to tie up with. Ahh, my biggie… I loaned a storm jib on a sail to a fellow traveler who was trying to sail with a full genoa in 35 knots. A 50 sq. ft storm jib had him going comfortably and faster. 20 years ago? Every so often we touch base and someday I will get it back.

Whether a canoe, kayak, sailboat, I have found the non-powered boating community to be both generous and helpful. We are good people.

3 Likes

On my day trips, I carry a lot of ‘extra’ stuff, rarely used. As a counter example, I recently kayaked with my granddaughter and her boyfriend (ages, mid twenties). Despite being strong and quite tenacious, she was inflicted by neck pain that day, exacerbated by paddling. So we needed to turn around and head for home. I gave her two acetaminophen tablets from my rarely used first aid kit and broke out my tow rope so her boyfriend could tow her home.

1 Like

I always have an extra paddle and PFD with me. I’ve loaned the paddle several times to people who were using junk and a couple of times to experienced paddlers who forgot theirs.
Probably because I forgot mine once and make sure it won’t happen again.

2 Likes

I had an extra set of nose plugs save the day for someone at my rolling class yesterday that had forgotten hers at home.

1 Like