Wilderness survival skills courses

Another couple of sources
A friend let me borrow Larry Dean Olsen’s Outdoor Survival Skills. I read the shelter section tonight and I like it the best of any I have read so far. I still have not read Tom Brown’s though. That is next on the plate. LDO apparently worked with Robert Redford on Jeremiah Johnson.

I also looked at a book at a bookstore tonight: Camping & Wilderness Survival: The Ultimate Outdoors Book by Paul Tawrell. It is quite the volume but so interesting I could not put it down. Kind of like an encyclopedia of animals, elements, ecosystems and weather systems.

Water from dew
According to the books I have read, dew is the cleanest/freshest source of water. Does anyone refute this/have other information? Would this be safe to do with kids, barring the obvious no-no’s such as chemicals, poisonous plants, unsanitary collection tools?

Curious if anyone has tried collecting large amounts or did this with a group/teaching situation.

Lots of bug and bird poo…
may be mixed in with the dew. I say your safest bet is to be close to water source and boil it for a minute or if you carry a thermometer, 135*f or higher for 10 minutes.