Wilderness Systems Tempest 165/170

too stable?
it’s a chunky kinda feel, eh? compared with the sleeeeekness of the T!

steve

chunky?

– Last Updated: Aug-27-09 1:17 PM EST –

Well, maybe if you insist on paddling upright. Geeez!

When I demoed the 155 I was having so much fun putting it on edge that I didn't notice...

Yeah, Too Stable

– Last Updated: Aug-27-09 2:21 PM EST –

Took it to Bear Inlet last Friday and played in the surf. The Z wasn't so stable as to keep me upright! I reckon I got trounced 7 or 8 times and I was surprised how well it rolled up. I was a little concerned that it might be too stable upside down.

Actually I came away thinking that it would be a good 'beginner' boat... for those who need/want to start very stable. No claustrophobia with that big cockpit.

And yes, it was also stable way up on edge. Chunky is a good word. You could balance it on the bottom chunk or the side chunk.

decisions, decisions…
Some folks may be glad to know (ie Kudzu & Flatpick) that I am going to go with the Tempests :slight_smile: Thanks again to everyone for your advice & feedback.

My roto 165’s hatches are good also
2005 model year. No problems with it. I got a good one!

hatches
I love my 2008 poly T 165, though have to admit the hatches are a bit loosey-goosey, particularly the big oval one. I got it caught on my pfd during some self-rescue practice and off it came.

Now that I know it can happen I’m just more aware–I make sure the covers are as tight and sealed as I can get them every time I take it out. I put stuff in bags to stay dry. I also check every time to see how much, if any, water has gotten into the hatches when I take the boat out of the water. Sometimes none, sometimes a little ( a tbsp or 2), once in a while a bit more, up to 1/2 cup or so. I’ve paddled it mostly in the Hudson River, where it can be glass calm or a bit choppy. So far I’m not too concerned; I suppose if I did a lot of open sea paddling in cold weather I would worry more.

Someone in the industry at a demo day told me that some colors of the Tempest poly boats were worse than others, in terms of how the hatch covers fit–having something to do with how the different colors “cured” or whatever. He said red was the worst. Don’t know…mine is yellow/orange fade.

congrats!
methinks you’ll LIKE!

:slight_smile:

steve

when in doubt, get both…
btw I ended up getting a nice deal on a used Tempest 165 AND 170. The boats came with Werner & Sawyer composite paddles, two decent PFDs, spray skirts x2, bilge pumps x2, and a cockpit cover. Did I mention the paddle leash & floats? For $1700 methinks this was a fair deal & I am very happy to have the his & hers for my wife and me. I’ve tried both kayaks on a tidal river & Long Island Sound (small waves) and they are awesome. 170 is a better fit right now but when I slim down a bit may be fighting with my girl for the 165 :slight_smile: All due respect to Flatpick, I understand you designed the Tempest? You must be pretty proud of that!!! Thanks again to everyone for all of your feedback. I hope to be offering suggestions myself in future.

Chicago River
On another topic, I am in Chicago this week for work. Walking around yesterday I noticed kayakers in the Chicago River. So today I rented a Prijon Calabria 14’ (longest boat at the shop). Compared to the Tempest, this felt like a tank & didn’t seem to want to stay on track. Will be glad to get home to my lil’ fleet! Kayaking between the skyscrapers was super fun though. Kinda awe-inspiring and I would recommend trying it if you get the chance. Just watch out for the sand barges…

yep
I helped design it. Bob McDonough and I. glad you like! congrats

steve

Tempest design
What were your design criteria? For example, were you aiming to address limitations or specific problem you saw in other kayaks. Or, did you build the Tempest for certain use conditions? Very interested to hear your thoughts…

Yahoo Tempest Owners
There is an article that Steve wrote about the Tempset Project psoted at the Tempest Owners Group on Yahoo.