Wilderness Systems Tempest 165/170

Epic 16X if you have a need for speed
and still have a fun & playful boat.

A newer version with the Trackmaster plus rudder.

I’m 5’6", 160 lbs with size 41 shoe and have plenty of foot room with my Chota size 8 Mukluk Lites.

Tried Scorpio…
I have been sitting in a Scorpio LV, and my boyfriend had a good try in it for an hour+ from one of the local shops. He liked the LV, but he couldn’t fit his feet comportably under the deck (EU shoe size 44). If he had space for his feet, he would have bought it. He felt it was really good in all ways, and tried a bit of tecnique things, paddling and getting back into it after getting in the water.

The MV he felt became too roomy and catched the wind too easily, even though it was quite quiet were he tried it (he’s about 75 kg).

For myself and my sit in the Scorpio LV, I immediately didn’t like it. It just wasn’t “the thing”. I fitted and things, but didn’t get a good feeling.

re: The River Connection
Hi Jonathan,

Regrettably I don’t live in the Mid-Hudson Valley area. It’s about 3 hours from home, but I have found it to be well worth the trip! I try to get to The River Connection several times a year.

I met Marshall and Dorothy while I was on assignment to the area over 8 years ago. They were welcoming; open; and I have learned so much from them, which has certainly improved my skill set. It’s doesn’t hurt that they have quality kayaks and gear; and use what they sell.

I hope to see you there sometime in the future.

Safe paddling,

Joe

As others have indicated

– Last Updated: Jul-06-15 4:02 PM EST –

sitting in a kayak and paddling it are two very different things.

I made a very serious mistake 15 years ago when purchasing my first kayak. I bought it after just sitting in it. It looked great in the store and seemed to fit well. At the end of the summer I hated it. I have owned nine kayaks since then and I paddled every one at least twice before buying.

One really needs butt-in-boat-time when buying a kayak. Hopefully in the conditions you will be paddling.

A service oriented kayak store should assist a potential buyer in fitting a boat. For example: there are numerous adjustments that can be made to a Scorpio/Scorpio LV, but moving the thigh braces and seat pan, so one can get a truly custom fit, require tools.

Fwiw, there are some slight fit and sizing differences between the original Scorpio and the new MK II.

Finally tried the 165
Finally, I’ve been able to try the 165. And the 170 side by side.

I was just not able to find anything near a comfortable position in the 165. My toes touched the boat, even without shoes, and I wear a US W 9. I wasn’t able to press my thighs/knees under the thigh braces, no matter how much I wanted and tried to adjust everything that could be adjusted. The angle of knees was just not right.

Tried everything, it just doesn’t fit, it’s just too small in all ways in cockpit.

I have a slight feeling that the 165 can cause fitting problems for women (at least when height/weight starts to be closer to for example 5,9’/170lbs - but normal body shape) compared to men of same size - or even also bigger guys, because of the female anatomy, with usually wider hips/more padding on hips/thighs.

Well, the 165 is out for sure.

So 170 is left. I compared them side by side (in shop, not on water), and the cockpit fit in 170 was just great, could use a lot of the adjustments to make it fit very well, but also sort of just slid comfortably straight into the seat and cockpit.

So. What now? Skip the whole Tempest project, because it seems that 170 will just be too big the boat itself?

Yeah

– Last Updated: Jul-25-15 2:44 PM EST –

Are you reading this, kayak makers? We really shouldn't have to get out the saw and wrenches to make the right boat fit.

OP, I found a deal on a Dagger Alchemy (the smaller one) and moved the seat back on it. It handles beautifully and a larger friend of mine fits in it. It's not particularly fast and the rear hatch cover lets way too much water in but the price was right and like I said... It behaves nicely.

More boats
If you’re looking for speed and comfort, here are my suggestions: Novus Composites 17’-2", or maybe a 15’-8" (several models to choose from), Current Designs Caribou, Eddyline Raven, and P&H Cetus. The Valley Etain would also fit the bill.