Will 12'9" floating bananas scare

wildlife. I just bought two yellow Old Town Castines and am wondering if the yellow color will be less well suited than my other boats which are red, dark green and butterscotch/gold color for birdwatching etc. This is the first time I’ll be paddling yellow boats.

What is your experience with bright colors and wildlife?

Wildlife looks better in pink, but
yellow works.

Dont think they care
Arent most colorblind anyway?

If not they will probably hear you, or smell you before they see you.

Have 2 yellow boats, and a yellow vehicle.

And I still plenty

Giant bannanas…
Seem very suited to the wildlife on Silver River, Florida. Should attract more monkeys than you may care to see… :wink:

It’s too late now!
But congrats on acquiring 2 new boats!

But it seems like as long as you don’t look like a human or predator they don’t care. I think the paddles are what scare them more than the kayak anyway.

Birds aren’t colorblind…
…the colorful plumage usually found on the males is designed to attract the females…

Yellow is Mellow
I had a 16ft. yellow Eddyline and while I was paddling down the Deleware a family of ducks swam out and surrounded my boat. The baby ducks took turns jumping up on the boat and the mother duck didn’t seem to mind. They swam with us for about 15 minutes! I think your approach (quiet is better) is what matters most.

Yellow is Mellow
I had a 16ft. yellow Eddyline and while I was paddling down the Deleware a family of ducks swam out and surrounded my boat. The baby ducks took turns jumping up on the boat and the mother duck didn’t seem to mind. They swam with us for about 15 minutes! I think your approach (quiet is better) is what matters most.

Thanks everybody.
It looks like our big bananas should be fine with the local waterbirds. The Castines should be able to get us just about any place we want to go.

It’s the paddle…
I swear when approching herons and such that a black paddle works better than a white one…

That is where a single blade rules
When chasing wildlife a single blade with an underwater recovery allows real close approaches at times. Carry one as a spare. Try it it works.

Our red splashed into yellow…
kayaks never prevented us from getting close to wildlife.

We have some pictures of eagles from one of our Alaska trips where we are almost within touching distance of them.

We could publish a photo bird book on the wading birds of Florida we have so many good close up shots.

If you learn how to keep a silent paddle you will find that it is not the color that scares the wildlife, but the splash that is so strange to them.

We have learned to keep quiet and just glide around the next bend in the river or point on the lake. In that way when the wildlife do spot you, they are as curious of you as you are of them, and they will hang around a bit longer to check you out.

We had an incident on Chilkoot Lake just outside of Haines Alaska were we came drifting around a point and there was a large mama bear trying to teach her two cubs the art of salmon fishing.

Except for the glide of our kayaks we stayed motionless, and she sniffed the air as she stood up and checked us out. She never spooked at all and even went back down on all fours.

The two cubs were more interested in playing than fishing or even noticing us.

Eventually she got PO’d at the cubs and gave them a nasty growl which meant get the hell back in the woods I guess because that is where they scampered off to, and she stood and gave us another sniff and a stare and then left they water and slowly walked off into the woods.

We have had dozens of exciting wildlife encounters, and our bright colored yaks don’t seem to scare them off.

Cheers,

jackL

Eyes not color
are what the wildlife looks at more. Like all predators we have our eyes on the front of our face. (think about it awhile) We have canine teeth. (don’t smile at them, they don’t think of us as vegan) Many species, including dogs consider eye contact to be a sign of dominance if not agression or threat. If you stare at wildlife long enough you will intimidate most species and they will leave. Try using peripheral vision and slow movements and notice the behavior differences.

Taj