WILLIAM O'BRIEN STATE PARK

GREETINGS! HAS ANYONE BEEN KAYAKING ON THE ST. CROIX RIVER BY THIS PARK AREA? IS IT SUITABLE FOR NOVICES? THANKS!

St Croix River is in Maine, and in Minn/
Wisconsin. And there’s probably a few more St. Croix rivers. Be specific.

St. Croix
I’ve paddled parts of the upper St. Croix (to Rush City from about 30 miles north). We used to take inner-city youth on camping trips (early '80s) in alumacraft canoes, and they handled the class Is and (IIs?) fine. Very nice section of river–scenic, just fast enough for beginners, and good fishing. We always did it in July and August. My guess is it gets a little spookier in the spring. So I give this area a qualified “Nice Summer” float for beginners.

I have not paddled the lower St. Croix but see the attached link to the MN DNR. Their website is great resource:

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/canoeing/stcroixriver/lower.html.

Regarding a previous response: Your post is specific enough, if one doesn’t know the state of William O’Brien State Park, one isn’t qualified to answer anyways.

william o’brien state park
thanks for the info & the defense on the “non-specific” heckler! will try the website! gee

Non-specific heckler thinks you are both
turkeys.

I live nearby…

– Last Updated: Feb-09-05 6:36 AM EST –

The river is flat and wide there with islands here and there...the water near the park has a very slow-moving current...your main problem would be motor boats...I live nearby and have often though it would be a nice paddle..I'll try it when the ice leaves the river...O'Brien is only 20 minutes away from me....call the park and ask 'em about novice use..

O’Brien/ St. Croix
Used to be a great stretch of paddle. Now both the park and the river can be overcrowded. Motor boats flock on summer weekends.

gobble gobble :).