Wind direction, conventions

nope
Windward shore is the shore to your windward—you are in the lee of a windward shore—conversly if the shore is a leeward shore you are to windward of the lee shore and that doesn’t help you—no sailor wants to be off a lee shore in a strong wind although some kayakers and surfers actually seek it out.

Being blown onto Lee Shore
isn’t the worse thing that can happen. It beats getting dunked near a windward shore with winds so strong that you haven’t the strength to reach the shore.

yes
es correcto. so if you let the wind blow you ‘onshore’ you end up on a ‘lee’ shore.

steve

Yes
At least a lee shore has onshore wind. If you’re in the lee of the shore, then you’ve got offshore wind. If things go wrong with the latter situation, it could mean next stop is Japan (speaking for the US West coast.)

Paul

How do I clean my keyboard…
…now that my head has exploded?

lee shores
like I said—sailors avoid them but kayakers and surfers often seek them out—I personally am comfortable off a lee shore so long as it is soft and sandy----hard and rocky I not so crazy about

But it’s only the lee shore relative
to the boat. Once ashore it’s the windward shore of the island, land mass… This can confuse folk.

confuse folks
yah think

Just incase
Just incase someone might benefit from a lengthier explanation. I hope I don’t make things worse.

As stated above, leeward (or lee) is down wind. Windward is up wind.

Here’s the potential point of confusion. As with any observation of direction, the observation is relative to some point of reference. If the point of reference changes part way through the conversation then the direction may necessarily change.

Taking something we all understand; if the shore of an island is North of the kayaker, that shore is necessarily on the South side of the island.

Similarly, the lee (down wind) shore, from the point of reference of the kayaker is necessarily on the windward (up wind) side of the island.

In the two previous sentences the point of reference from which to describe the direction of the shore switched part way through the sentence, from the kayaker to the island. Therefore the direction switched. In the first case; from North of the kayaker to South side of the island. In the second case; from lee of the kayaker to the windward side of the island.

Paul

P.S. I just got this clear myself (I’m pretty sure, anyway), from the above conversation. Thanks all!

Ya mean…
You have to paddle to the windward shore to get to the lee shore of an island?

No problem, do it all the time.

Missippi Paddlers Missing Of CA Coast
These folks apparently did not have a good grasp of what winds can do. The coast guard has called off the search. Apparently these two guys were blowing out to open ocean in small sit on top kayaks when paddling as a group of 6 kayakers paddling around the island. Winds were reported 35 kts with 6 -9 ft seas. Lots of conflicting and incomplete information about what happened.

http://www.venturacountystar.com/news/2007/oct/20/search-for-seabee-kayakers-called-off/

These guys are candidates for
the Darwin Award.

http://www.darwinawards.com/

I was
a WX observer at Glasgow AFB for 3+ years in the 60’s. We always said "Why not Minot? "

HUH?
I think you are confused.

Real classy
These guys had families, and there are lots of people in this world who get along just fine without ever learning how quickly conditions can go from mild to scary in a kayak in an offshore wind. RIP.

Sympathy but no Admiration
I plead guilty, but with extenuating circumstances. Like these fellows, I’m a military guy. During two years in combat I learned that life is precarious and that mistakes, especially stupid ones, frequently have appalling consequences – for yourself, your buddies and the mission.

That’s fine
But I do think it’s worth remembering that what they were setting out to do may not have looked stupid at all from the beach. From the lee side of an island you can be looking at fairly calm, easy water in close but find yourself in really challenging conditions by the time you get a few hundred yards off the beach. IMO it’s better to start from the assumption that “there but for the grace of God go I” and learn from others’ mistakes rather than jumping too quickly to the conclusion that we would have known better.

Isn’t any
shore between you and the island? (assuming you are on the water)

I spent 3 years there
I’ll tell you why not Minot :slight_smile: