Wing or no wing?

i don’t think so
i’ve used it in a wide double and it felt really weird. you need to be able to get a very vertical stroke. i really can’t believe they sold him a wing with a pungo. good grief!!

af

Must Have Been
on the rack and they wanted to move it. This to me is reprehensible. Sure it will work somewhat; you could paddle it with a snow shovel also. Selling something to ‘move it out’ or because it happens to be the right size in stock for a person’s height negates any degree of expertise you’d expect when inquiring of a paddlesports dealer. It’s possible that the salesperson just didn’t know-summer help perhaps? Correct me if I’m wrong here on the Pungo, but this boat doesn’t seem to be at the upper echelon of ‘edgeability,’ smile. I would think sweep strokes would be invaluable in turning such a stable craft-not exactly a wing’s forte-you have to angle the blade as you sweep. Saw this all the time in bike shops (not good ones), where customers would come out incorrectly sized because it’s what they had in stock. Favorite time was when customer came in with bike three sizes too small-shop installed a looooong stem and even longer seatpost set at the max insertion level to compensate. There was so much weight over the front wheel, the front end wanted to knife in at the slightest bar pressure, and the post flexed dangerously-now that would be a painful break. Or customers would come in with bikes for service that they needed to climb on stepladders to mount-maybe it felt like they were getting more for their money with a gargantuan frame? I’d say keep the wing if you intend on getting a narrower boat that better suits that style, especially as you’ve no doubt become somewhat accustomed to it. Or sell it and get yourself a decent touring paddle. Better yet-take it back and say, ‘What’s up with this funky paddle? I try to paddle alongside the boat, and it just has a mind of its own.’

the dealer
the dealer didn’t try high pressure tactics to sell the paddle. He basically said here are your options. In my ignorance I picked this one, not knowing. I wonder if he was ignorant as well. Though he did seem knowledgable in other areas.

I don’t have any problem paddling with it in a straight line. I paddle about 3 times a week on large rivers and go about 20 miles at a time.

I think I will hang onto it for my new boat and pick up a euro paddle. I would rather not make waves at the other shop since I kayak off of their boatramp fairly often. Also I have had it for a few months now.

Thank you everyone for your help and insight.

Wow!
20 mile trips in Pungo! You’re either a very fit person, nutz, or this whole thread is a troll to see us all righteously spout off about wings & rec boats L(would have said that up front - but everyone thinks I’m mean enough already)!

That said, I used to do 15-20 often on a Tarpon 160 SOT my first year paddling - and did a couple near 30 milers. More crazy than fit in my case, but a T160 has a bit more speed/glide than a Pungo and is easy to paddle all day. Maybe a Pungo’s not that different.

I did try a wing for a few hundred yards on the Tarpon (swapped with someone to check it out) once. It actually worked OK, but does put the catch a bit off to the side and the wing looses some of its effectiveness.

20 miles
I can assure you that I go around 20 miles or so just about every time I am on the water. I typically go on the CT River. I also do the Quabog River trail and back. I may be a bit crazy but I am also very fit.

In college I was an All American Gymnast, since than I have actively trained and competed in wrestling. I have now taken to Kayaking, i still have SOoooo much to learn. Looking back purchasing the Pungo seems to have been a mistake. If I knew that I would enjoy Paddling so much I would have started off with a better boat. Oh well live and learn.

20 miles
Pungo??!!

Ghidorah,

you don’t need a kayak, you need a surf ski.

Don’t waist your time, give Pungo to charity

and find a surf ski for around $1000 or so.

Again, don’t be misled by name - it

is a misnomer.

Surf ski is a open racing kayak.

Mistakes vs. Natural Transgression
Depends on how you look at it. Many start with rec oriented boats; if they develop a love for kayaking, then let the games begin. Did the same as you-paddled the heck out of a Perception America, then went for an Explorer, and in the need for speed, wife bought me a QCC. Next step, most likely surf ski. Ex racing cyclist here as well as collegiate, etc. wrestler, so the fitness aspect seemed to be gravitated to naturally. Held on to the America, in fact, taking our pair to the Vineyard for a family vacation. Still think the dealer should have sold you a standard touring paddle, but if you too have the need for speed, you’ll be using that wing again soon. :wink:

No mistakes…
…in boat choices, just different learning paths.

With your fitness and gymnastics background - get into more challenging (for me, maybe not you!) boats. If you do 20 miles in any boat - you’re already hooked.

Pungos are easy to resell, or keep it for lazy days, friends to borrow, etc.

Racing kayaks and/or surf skis are a logical direction. Another is rolling - and pursuing the myriad of Greenland rolls. Another is Surf/White Water. You have natural advantage in any/all directions that interests you.

No high pressure sale?
"He basically said here are your options. In my ignorance I picked this one, not knowing. "

Yeah, like a shavel is an “option” for propelling a boat forward! The ignorance wasn’t yours, it’s that of the sales guy.

“I wonder if he was ignorant as well. Though he did seem knowledgable in other areas.”

Dude, hate to point this out to you. Given your fitness and enthusiasm, the Pungo wasn’t the best choice of boat for you! So this guy’s “knowledge” was equally ignorant in his choice of boat for you. A good kayak shop worker should have had you demo a few and maybe rent a couple before buying anything, which is often suggested on this board. He seems more interested/better in selling than in giving advice on what’s really suitable for you.

I hate it when shops cheap on newbies. I would suggest going back and seeking out a more seasoned guy or better yet, the owner/manager and explain your situation. They should either offer a “trade up” of your Pungo, or at least give you a significant discount for your next purchase. But then again, you don’t want to get “taken in” again on your next (bigger) purchase from a shop that didn’t treat you right the first time. Maybe you feel more comfortable shopping in a competitor shop. Your call.