wing paddle is kicking my but!

GPs teach bad habits
by extending the shoulder beyond the body. I am thankful I didn’t learn any bad paddling habits becaused I paddled over 2,000 miles before I took a class. I never took a paddling class but went straight to the instructor class. Anyhow I paddle the GP the same as a regular paddle and use a high stroke which made using a wing paddle natural. My first time using a wing paddle was also my first time in a K-1 trainer on a painless 10 mile Lake Lanier trip.

Paddlin’on

Richard

“Bad paddling habits” - Ha !
you took up paddling and now just look at how hooked you are on it!

Cheers,

jackL

I have 2 ONNO full tour paddles
For people paddling my other boats, since I started paddling my ONNO wing I haven’t used them. The wing with a loose grip finds it’s path and I let the wing take control. Best paddle I’ve had and thank goodness I’m not having any trouble with it.

Got $6?
Epic has a sale for $3 on their video tape version of the paddle instruction video (the DVD is still $27 or so). Add $3 shipping and for $6 and a couple of days wait you will get yourself the instruction of two top padlers and some subtle Epic advertising into it.

I think it is a good video for the forward stroke and illustrates the mistakes we often make.

You will also see how the stroke differs on a surf ski vs. a racing kayak or a regular sea kayak.

Has instruction on regular and on wing paddle.

I have not seen other vidos on the subject, but I think this one is pretty good. I taped myself paddling on a pair of chairs in my living room while watching the instructional video and could immediately see the areas I need to work on. And how my “style” improved somewhat towards the end of the 3-4 minutes taped session as the “instruction” on-screen progressed -:wink:

Boat & Wing Forward Stroke

– Last Updated: Jul-25-08 10:27 AM EST –

Paul,

I do not think that the low volume of your boats should give you any problem. In fact, for instance, the volume of my Nelo k-1 is about half the volume of a low volume Greenland boat :D :D :D

However, a big however, to properly rotate, you would need:

1. A solid footboard -something like this http://sports.webshots.com/photo/2224315800053863956wyGgWE
This is key in order to rotate from your hip.

2. A seat (without backbands) that allow you to slide during the hip rotation. In fact, there are quite a bit k-1 seats (low profiles ones) that could be easily adapted to any boat (without match work) something like this seat (sorry for the small pic)

http://www.mar-kayaks.pt/store/catalog/popup_image.php?pID=44&osCsid=dbf610967330d75303988e5f4d5d604e

These are the two key issues that could affect a proper forward stroke on a Greenland boat. On the other hand, Greenland boat by been low volume do not have issue that most Sea Kayaks have: too wider at the paddle entry does not allow an efficient catch.

Yeah, great DVD
Had it quite a while and watched it several times. Didn’t get it for $3 though. I also have the Brent Reitz tape which is also good.

Funny you should post that pic…
… of the Nelo easy seat. I was just looking at it last night (on main site of course, as NeloUSA site is a mess). Looks simple and cheap enough to skip trying to make something.

I’d like a better look at KayakPros “Italian Seat” too.

What do these sites have against decent pictures?

The volume problem BB was talking about is about the knee clearance under the deck with shorter cockpit boats. I can move in my QCC - but am a bit limited as I still can’t get knees above rim. He has some tighter cockpits - AND longer legs.

The easy seat might work for me, but most K1 seats won’t work in sea kayaks since they raise you even more and would jam you under the rim and/or braces.

I’m still thinking about rigging a k1/ski style understern with pedal controls too (don’t like tiller for textured water).

A new seat is easy, but an entire custom rudder setup is a lot of work to do on a boat that already has limited knee room. To really trick it out I’d need to either elongate the cockpit or go with a shorter angled cockpit and knee hump like the Multisport boats. Hump is more appealing as I still want good rolling purchase, but harder to do.

Can’t afford a different kayak, but have resin, glass, some CF, etc…