Wing vs Everything Else

It’s still all about fluid dynamics
In that sense, the only difference between water and air is that air is less dense. The same laws apply to both.

A GP IS a long wing paddle

– Last Updated: Apr-05-08 11:50 AM EST –

In fact, one could reasonably argue that it is the ORIGINAL wing paddle. The canted stroke used with a GP takes advantage of its airfoil profile to produce lift in addition to drag, just as modern wing paddles do. It's not quite as efficient, but a GP can also be used with modern wing paddle technique and the difference in feel is quite noticeable. I don't know of any studies comparing the two, but I would bet that combining a GP with wing technique would reduce the ~6% advantage that wings have by a point or two.

There are some significant differences, primarily in versatility. A GP works with a variety of techniques and at any angle. It's more forgiving of less than optimum technique. It's easier on the joints when used with standard GP technique. It's less affect by wind. It's better for rolling, bracing and other strokes.

A wing paddle is like a scalpel; a GP is like a Swiss Army knife. You get much of the benefit of the single-purpose tool with dramatically more versatility.

Knitting project
First, an apology to Pat/onnopaddle. I have amended an earlier (poorly) worded post to hopefully reflect my intent.

Now, how about an attempt to sum things up?

1. wing paddles are not nearly as limited in use as many have supposed.

2)Simply buying a wing may not significanly improve your own paddling. First ask, what kind of paddling do I do? But, if you have access to a wing, and can spend time to learn how to use it correctly (and understand the principles), there may be some interesting outcomes-

A) you may become interested in another facet of the world of paddlesport

B) you might change or modify your goals as regards kayak touring.

C) you may decide it is not for you and your needs, but you might have a better understanding of how any paddle can be manipulated towards a performance goal.

3)The comment by paddlemore re: Lawry, and my comment re: why I do not experience paddle flutter, was answered in a simple and perhaps overlooked post by Pat/onnopaddle. Re-read his first post!

4)Not to be nasty (really, I am laughing about what I am about to write), but all of this could be so much paddle shaft wanking. Unless, on your next paddle, you are willing to challenge your own concepts, and try something new.

A coach friend uses this phrase often-“If you keep doing what you’ve always done, you will always get what you’ve always got”

karl

as always great words of wisdom
from otterslide and onnopaddle.

boat
You should’ve mentioned that wing paddle comes with a boat. You could paddle any boat with the wing paddle, but some are better suited than others.

Say, Valley Pintail vs Valley Rapier :wink:

Wing Paddle a Superior Tool

– Last Updated: Apr-05-08 8:37 PM EST –

Wing paddles are a superior tool (way sperior tool) but not a miracle one!

Wing paddles as well as kayaks are simple tools to allow the paddler/athlete to move on the water. They are useless without the trained paddler who can used and take advantage of them.

One won't paddle any faster only by charging $500 in ones' credit card and getting an overnight mailed wing paddle. If fact, it is my believe that an untrained paddler could even paddle slower with a wing paddle due to poor technique. If proper or at least quasi-proper technique is not applied, it is useless.

Above all, the wing paddle allows the paddler/athlete, who works or have already worked developing/improving his/her technique, to apply a more efficient, powerful, and sound form.

Therefore, in my most humble opinion any one thinking in getting a wing and/or any other of these tools *to paddle faster* should be also start thinking in spending some time learning to how to properly use it. In fact, puzzlezed me, the "commom" mentality that "gear" make one safer and "boats and paddles" make one faster.

Just my two cents

From someone that wold ruther not paddle if he has to use something else than a wing paddle :D

Greyak…no, regret that I didn’t
and I just ordered a wing, the el-cheapo heavy model…Speedwing something to play with in the Jet…what are the chances of you making a carbon version???

Working on it…
… but for Jet, K1, ski, etc - the regular wings will serve you well and teach you right.

My hybrid’s designed to work with wing stroke (and a hybrid kayak I’ll build someday), but is a bit easier and less demanding - and allows some other stroke options too. Doesn’t have GP level versatility, but makes up for it in other ways.

My GP is faster than my euros, my Aleut faster than that (despite the narrower and shorter blade), the hybrid faster still. A good regular wing is likely a bit faster yet, but I’m not good/comfortable enough with one - or in a kayak really able to tap one (no rudder) - to quantify that. Paddler always has more impact than paddle.

I think it, or a version of it, might make a good spare for the rougher water/longer distance ski paddlers who currently rarely carry a spare. Wings suck for stowing on deck - and racers hate using anything else. These would offer a wing type stroke, stow flat on aft deck, no fumbling to assemble in dicey conditions, offer good buoyancy, and work well when flipped over the other way for swimming with paddle (another thing that pretty much sucks with a wing).

I’m actually laying up some test molds tomorrow, and hope to try some test parts later this week. These are a bit tricky shapes and my current setup/location really limits what I can do as far as materials and space goes. If things work at this level, I’ll still need to redo it all with different methods at some point.

Wing and boat width
What width boat is too wide for a wing paddle / wing stroke to be effective?

Hey good question?
I’ll have to try my wing in my little 9 foot long Keoewee.

I should be able to spin it in a full circle with one stroke on one side instead of a zig zag course like I do with my Euro

Cheers,

JackL