work out to prepare for long distance

You’re an Incredible Endurance Paddler
And of course you got to use a variety of strokes in between the start and finish, for you don’t want to lose it all in the end because you can’t sprint? In open ocean marathons, cash “hotspots” are established in order to encourage a fast race pace, otherwise, the pace slows and the race actually doesn’t begin until the third hour or so, etc.

Thank you
finally a comment which doesn’t say “what you have done” but rather what I should do. Thank you This fall I am training in my kayak because The two man canoe is a bit much for me to handle on my own but I do know the the paddling technique is completely different. I canoe with my husband usually. I have a year with a winter in the middle so what a good point that I cross country ski (I do)

Thank you again

Susan

depends on what you want

– Last Updated: Sep-05-12 9:33 AM EST –

If you're competing, or just want to finish respectably. I think the Dr. has it right re: interval training, but I'd still do regular distance paddles so that you know how you'll respond.

If you want stuff to do outside of the boat, cycle or run for cardio. Get a swedish ball and work on crunches and core exercises using the ball and no weights. If you like, get one for work and sit on it instead of your office chair. I can't think of a single piece of exercise equipment that can do so much for the core. Here are some simple ones you can do to start:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/core-strength/SM00046

Once you reach a better condition you can add weights and movements. You can do almost all of the traditional dumbbell exercises using a ball and less weight, and get a core benefit.

I don't know about you but if I did nothing but paddle for fitness I'd go bonkers.

Uhhh…
I gotta say I would feel a lot better taking advice from someone who has trained and completed endurance events… and passed along to me what he or she has done… rather than someone just telling me what they think I should do. Know what I mean?

Training
I trained for 15 mile days Key Largo to Key West doing the following:

1. By kayaking the same type waters if possible
  2. By knowing my daily avg miles for the tour
  3. I work up to doing 2/3 of the daily average for as many days in a row as the trip/tour will be.
  4. I always paddle one last training regimine before the tour but also take/allow at least as much time off prior to the trip as the trip/tour is long.

So for a Key Largo to Key West tour I worked up to doing about 10 miles per day 3 days in a row…which is all I had to do since the trip was three different legs/long weekends.

Hope that helps.