would a better paddle make me faster?

good luck
with that

my paddle feels light
ill try to weigh it latter

Either way… It is not how smart you…
Are, it is how you use your brain. Common sense should answer your question before the internet. If it absolutely can not be answered by common sense, then by all means ask away.

Paddle easy,

Coffee

both paddles weigh
2.7 lbs they have very different shapes however

Battle axes
2.7 pounds or 43 ounces.

Battle ax.

A really light paddle would be half of that.

A good light paddle would be around 27 ounces.

Still, won’t make you much faster, but will make you less tired at the end.

Good paddles can be had cheaply
around here by buying at the end of season (September), when outfitters clear out inventory and rental equipment. I’ve seen the paddle rack empty in the first 10 minutes that the store is open.

Of course in warmer climes, these sales might not exist.

My favorite response thus far:
"…like driving a car with a flat tire."

A good paddle will help, but nothing helps as much as decent technique… Take a forward stroke class/lesson. You’ll be amazed at the difference it makes.

Cheaper paddles faster
I actually found one of the cheapest paddle i have tried motored me along the fastest. It was a big giant beast with a blade twice the size of most paddles out there and had some aweful flutter if you weren’t careful. The big problem is though that despite being fast, it was heavy, so i got tired out pretty quickly.

If you get a good, light, well designed paddle, you don’t necessarily go that much faster, but you can keep up a decent speed for a lot longer.

Like running, do you want to be real fast for the 100m, or being able to go at a good pace for 4km?

Try here
http://www.archronicles.com/3003.htm

But you will need a faster kayak/surfski to go with your wing paddle.

You can get a nice fiberglass shaft/
plastic blade paddle for around $100 that will serve you well for the near future.

I started with what you have. They do triple duty as shovels and log splitters,but are hard on you.

Aquabound makes good paddles.

http://www.backcountry.com/aqua-bound-stingray-fiberglass-paddle-2-piece

yes it will
you will be faster with a better paddle over distance.

You will tire less easily, plus a lighter paddle enables you to keep a higher cadence.

Regardless of what anyone says, I will never skimp on paddles.

Look at race footage. They all use the best. If they could be just as fast with a $20 paddle, they would use a $20 paddle.

Give in
Buy a Lumpy

Yes but

– Last Updated: Jun-14-11 10:07 PM EST –

You sound like a young fit guy who enjoys going fast and has the strength to do it. For me, the point of a good paddle is that it's easier on the body.

First, a good paddle is light. (To me 22-24 ounces is light.) That means that you lift less weight in the course of the day.

Second, a good paddle is stiff. That means that more of the energy you put into the paddle is transferred to the water to move the boat forward. With a soft plastic paddle, some energy is lost as the paddle flexes in the water.

Third, a good paddle has a better blade design, again making it more efficient.

Durability and adjustability are additional qualities of a good paddle.

If you paddle a stiff (fiberglass or thermoformed) kayak with a stiff all-carbon paddle, you will feel the difference with the first stroke. It will feel like a dream compared to a soft plastic kayak and paddle. You will go farther with each stroke, with less effort.The glide in calm water is fantastic. To me that feeling is much more important than speed.

But no need to go hog wild on the paddle. Trade up as your experience and finances dictate. Craigslist is a wonderful source for used paddles. I would look for a Werner Camano with a carbon shaft and fiberglass blades. Retail is $265. It can be had for $150 on Craigslist. It's well worth that price.

Another trick is to buy a cheap used kayak on Craigslist that just happens to come with a great paddle. I just acquired a Camano that way. Sell the kayak and keep the paddle.

On intelligence
Smart people learn to respect others early in life. How did you miss out on that?

Aquabound Stingray
My least favorite paddle of all time. Heavy, soft, shapeless blades. The retail price is $185. For that amount of money you can find a Werner Camano on Craigslist.

im going to answer no.
Your pelican may not go much faster with a motor. That said, a better paddle is awesome. Speed, or distance covered, in a kayak has a lot to due with time spent paddling verses not paddling. A nice paddle will make you paddle more and break less.

Some people will disagree, but a $100 paddle in a nice boat is better than a $400 paddle in a turd boat. If it is speed you want look for a longer, narrower, less rockered boat.

Ryan L.

Agree

i didn’t miss out on anything…
They missed out on common sense, how can you respect that?

How can you give respect to someone who can’t even “attempt” to hold their own.

If you lack common sense, then you are a danger to others. Why would you respect such a reckless disaster?

Paddle easy,

Coffee

Respect is like a…
Waitress’ or waiter’s tip-

If they don’t bring you water or forget your food and they don’t stop by to check on your party, do they deserve a tip? They didn’t do their job, why would you tip them?

Same goes for common sense. If someone doesn’t use it, should they deserve respect?

Paddle easy,

Coffee

My advice would be
to first learn the proper paddling technique then worry about the paddle. You can have the best paddle in the world but if your technique is bad the paddle not worth much. You can`t buy a better stroke, you have to work at it.