Wow: "Tariffs Set to Hit Paddlesports Hard"

Good suggestion, Willowleaf.

Political decisions’ effects are rippling all the way down in many ways. In my home area, it has become more important than ever to vote in the primaries, attend LOCAL candidate forums, and try to stay abreast of impending changes. Some of the local turbulence was obviously “inspired” by the present POTUS’s behavior.

Sticking my head in the sand (water) only allows certain people to get away with things that should be questioned at the very least.

The article may not have been politically motivated, but the topic of tariffs is undeniably political, with divisions along party lines. Again, I don’t object at all to publishing the article and I don’t think we should shy away from using the word “politics,” which is a term that describes a participatory democracy.

Here’s my essay supporting the opposite point of view of mine:

We should really leave politicking to politicians. Nothing we say can influence them anyway. I voted once in a presidential election and it had no impact whatsoever so I’m not getting out of bed for that next time. I’m concerned about unsupported statements about climate change. WHERE IS THE PROOF OF THAT? If you can’t provide the proof, it doesn’t exist. You claim that 97% of scientists state that climate change exists and that it’s caused by human activity. FAKE NEWS, people, FAKE NEWS, just trying to make the president look bad. You ain’t seen heat till you’ve lived in Phoenix, so just toughen up, wussies. You do not need clean water to paddle. Is your kayak that delicate? I’m xx years old. By the time the REAL doodoo hits the fan I’m going to be long gone, so what do I care about the environment? I totally agree with keeping this forum clean of politics, which is TOTALLY unrelated to paddling, so you bleeding-heart liberals and tree huggers can just spare me the political ruminations, stop the delusional rants, and ease on down the road, you bots and shills. Not happy? Complain to Brian. Buy American! Make America Great Again! We’re the only country that really counts. Only traitors buy kayaks made in China. I do not give a rat’s XXX about the Chinese. This is the last comment from me on this subject. P.S. I am well educated so don’t tell me what to think. Good grief!

That was fun. I feel more empathy now for my cohorts on the other side. What’s the next assignment?

That was fun. I feel more empathy now for my cohorts on the other side. What’s the next assignment?

Go Away…

OK - too much. While I don’t end up agreeing, there are reasonable arguments for the points of view held by many who support tariffs. They are not all hysterical fools, just people who have come to that point of view…

Waterbird, IMO your response is just an assembly of easy cliches which show tremendous disrespect to individuals. No it is not fun. It is abusive.

Congratulations on trying Brian, but…

With China on the move militarily I try not to help fund them if possible. Tired of USA protecting the world while they screw the USA on trade. We pay the price in money, blood, and deficits. Jobs here pay for the US defense.

China’s massive purchases of US agriculture products have essentially enabled our farmers to stay in business and for us to have reasonable food prices. We are inextricably bound to global markets and there is no way that economic isolationism can help us domestically.

Besides China, the administration is slapping tariffs on Canada, our largest customer for US goods. And we are cutting off our own noses to spite our faces by causing raw materials and components that our manufacturers need to either be unobtainable or overpriced.

Tariffs have NEVER worked to improve the US bottom line, EVER. We have a government right now that refuses to consult history or economic experts and pursues unworkable fantasies without considering the real outcomes.

Tarriffs are working already. Better deal with Mexico and EU along with Japan. They have robbed the USA for years by keeping US products out. If you believe there’s free trade out there I was surfing that 83’ wave off NC.

China wants to drop their 25% tarriffs on cars now because they are getting ready to ship cars to the he USA now.

How have the experts done with trade the last 60+ years? How have the experts done with China’s interlectural theft? Japan was said by the head of the WTO to be the most closed market in the industrialized world.

@willowleaf said:
China’s massive purchases of US agriculture products have essentially enabled our farmers to stay in business and for us to have reasonable food prices. We are inextricably bound to global markets and there is no way that economic isolationism can help us domestically.

Besides China, the administration is slapping tariffs on Canada, our largest customer for US goods. And we are cutting off our own noses to spite our faces by causing raw materials and components that our manufacturers need to either be unobtainable or overpriced.

Tariffs have NEVER worked to improve the US bottom line, EVER. We have a government right now that refuses to consult history or economic experts and pursues unworkable fantasies without considering the real outcomes.

Add to this cranberries in Massachusetts and lobsters in Maine. Who knew the Chinese liked lobsters so much? Well now we know. Some people favor isolationism because they think they have to protect themselves from other countries and that doing so will improve their lot in life. Then too late they realize how much they already depended on the so-called enemy country. “Too late” because China is already taking its business elsewhere.

“We are inextricably bound to global markets.” Absolutely true and no amount of xenophobia and false nationalism will change that.

@Celia said:
OK - too much. While I don’t end up agreeing, there are reasonable arguments for the points of view held by many who support tariffs. They are not all hysterical fools, just people who have come to that point of view…

Waterbird, IMO your response is just an assembly of easy cliches which show tremendous disrespect to individuals. No it is not fun. It is abusive.

There’s a famous double standard at work here, akin to the one that Serena Williams pointed out last week. You seem all too ready to overlook aggressive insults from male posters, but slam women for standing up for themselves. That’s tiresome. Half of my post was taken directly from insults aimed at me. **Times have changed, you know. ** There’s an awful lot that women used to not respond to because they knew it would just invite more abuse from men who knew they could get away with it. I think that’s just about finished. This revolution in what women will no longer tolerate has taken place even during the lifespan of this forum. You know what’s not fun? Immature men with the brains of an amoeba. I’m done with that. By the end of this thread they’re going to realize that they’ve been outdone by smart women. They haven’t run me off in the 10 years or so that I’ve been here and it’s not going to happen. Women censoring other women, though? That’s sad. I’m not the right target for that, Celia.

@PaddleDog52 said:
How have the experts done with China’s interlectural theft?

Thank you. You just gave me a weedless high.

Waterbird, if you do not recognize that your having fun response characterized everyone who supported tariffs as rabid stereotypes there is no help for you.
As far as women censoring women, no tickee there. No male has replied in this thread with the kind of diminishment of others that was in your response.

And you are being silly anyway. Censoring would have meant limiting this thread. As you must realize by several replies later, that did not happen.

Well - this is not how I want to start my Saturday morning.
This discussion hasn’t improved and @WaterBird you did not write a persuasive essay, you simply regurgitated everything you think someone with a different viewpoint would say. I am very disappointed.
This discussion will now be closed.
@WaterBird you have received a warning. Next time, you will be removed for 30 days.