wrist tendonitis with rowing

Pam,
I know you probably don’t want to hear it, because you’re thrilled with rowing, but the best prevention is probably taking it easy, ramping up your time and effort level agonizingly slowly. It just takes time for your body to adjust to a new activity. Most of what I’ve read and heard for various sports has suggested increases of 5-20% per year, no more, meaning it might take several years to work up to the few hours a week on the water that you’re probably hoping for. I’ve read that it takes about 12 years to reach maximum accommodation. Since you also enjoy the ergometer, though, you could certainly use that more while your wrists get used to handling the oars.

Sanjay

Actually Sanjay, I am doing just that
because I hope to enjoy rowing and paddling for many years:)I decided to forego my pool roll class tonight, am only rowing on the erg until it is completely better. WhenI resume rowing on the water, I plan to row once a week for an hour or less, instead of twice a week. I know it’s best, so that’s what I’ll do until my wrist learns how best to do this and gets stronger!

How’s Sweet Pea doing?