Wrong paddle- effect on efficiency

I have a similar problem
We seem to be on a similar path. I upgraded from a rec boat to a 24" wide sea kayak this year but still used my 230cm Werner Rec Tour. I talked to Pat at Onno Paddles and am currently waiting on Full Tour Carbon Signature. 217cm. In speaking with Pat, I found my Werner was holding me back quite a bit. I was working a lot harder than everyone else to keep up. I had to use a lower angle style and the blades were not as efficient. Fluttering. Call Pat.

Thanks Chip- we do seem to be on
a similar path with respect to boats and paddles.

bruce, when you call Pat at ONNO
please post on this thread so we can all see what he says about your great questions.

Anything for you Cooldoctor

GP drip rings?!

– Last Updated: Jan-10-06 2:45 PM EST –

Someone mentioned GP with drip rings. Funny as the two GP I got from Nashwaak came with drip rings, but if the paddle is held like I was shown and seems to work the best the drip rings will be on the inside of the hands. Now I may be kinda slow on the uptake, but it don't take no rocket scientest to see dem dar rings ain't gonna work none to well.

Of course after being spoiled by Pyker and his GP these Nashwaaks may just stay on my familyroom wall where that heavier cherry wood looks real pretty. They were made with no dihedral out at the ends. The blades are just flat. Think I liked Pykers better!

Hey Pyker, why don't you send your Gp down here for a comparison test. I'll get it back to you next Raystown gathering. ;^)

>:^)

Mick

215cm works better for me than 220
in my 24" wide Phoenix Isere. I don’t know about the difference in efficiency, but it sure feels better.

It Goes Back To That Thread
about your prijon vs. castine (or which ever it was). If you gonna try to measure your efficiency, then you need to do repeated trials under similar conditions. This time not only with GPS but also with heart monitor.

Without the above, it becomes very subjective. What may feel good but may not necessarily be efficient.

Unless you are a hard core racer, minute differences in speed/efficiency won’t matter that much. Just my take on it.

sing

Nigel Foster is 6 ft 1 inches and uses…
…a 216 cm paddle for his high angle style. He really does have a significant crossover, almost canoe style, to his paddle stroke. Would be very chilly in icy conditions, I think.