WS Zephyr 16 vs. Valley Avocet RM (LV)

Remarkable story

It appears that the people with those kayaks were more lucky. No kayak (whatever it is made from) is made to deal with those kinds of accidents. I’m sure there are more than a few stories that indicate that normal single-ply poly is a “miracle” material too (where single layer poly kayaks have survived similar accidents).

Anyway, I really have no doubt that the three-layer plastic is better than the single ply (otherwise, Valley and P&H would not be using it).

If it’s a choice between two boats you like, go ahead and pick the three-layer one. If the three-layer one is a boat you don’t like, ignore what it is made of.

cockpit vs Tempest
Sat in both the Zephyr 16 and test paddled Tempest Pro 165 last week. Found the Zephyr cockpit to have significant more volume than the Tempest, more than my smaller frame desires for boat control. I did not adjust the thigh braces but may during a future test paddle. The included foam hip braces did a nice job in that area for fitting though. My quick assessment is that I liked the Tempest fit better, but of course comparing plastic to composite, having never tried a plastic Tempest.

3 layer is good stuff
By seprating the inner and outer layers with a central catalyized poly layer you get a stiffer boat, albeit perhaps slightly heavier. Also, by controlling the roto cycle you can distribute the central layer to be thicker in the hull where the stiffness is needed. Old Town uses this process and has for some time.

I agree though that one should buy the boat they like and go have fun with it.

It would interesting
If there was enough of a niche market for the Coaster to be produced in poly?

Z 15.5
You are also comparing the small Tempest with the big Zephyr. I have not seen a Z-15.5 yet, but expect that it will be the one to compare with the T-165.

Cheers, Alan

Hot
I think it would be a hot item

My thoughts
I’ve paddled both of these kayaks. For two year, I guided five days a weeks 3 to 6 hours a day out of the Avocet, and this year, I’ve guided out of the Zephyr 15.5 and the 16.

First, IMO, the way that the A 16 and 15.5 paddle is much different. The 15.5 for reasons that I can’t put my finger on just feels like a much better boat. So, if you haven’t paddled a 15.5, try it.

IMO, the Z is much more maneuverable than the Avocet. I always thought that the A was a very nice boat but that it lacked something that would make it a stand out boat. The Zephyr has that. It’s a very fun boat. When I first started paddling the Z, I found it just as enjoyable as my Romany. I lean more toward my Romany now, because for me the Romany allows me more control in rougher water. Still, I’d take a Zephyr 15.5 over an Avocet any day.

Good luck in your search and make sure you try a 15.5.

the future is in plastics
http://stateofsound.net/images/mj_nose.jpg

typo?
You say “the way that the A 16 and 15.5 paddle is much different”. You meant the Z 16 and 15.5, I assume.

Yes.
Yes, I mean the way that the Z_ 16 and 15.5 paddle differently. The 15.5, IMO, is the better of the two.

Profiles
For those without access to the stations for both boats, the comparison can be found here:

http://www.nessmuking.com/assets/images/coastervschatham.jpg

Darker lines are the Coaster.

Gross Plastics
Was that really necessary? I think my breakfast is coming back.